Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
MacBook Pro 2019 is running 10.15.7

BLUF: MacBook Pro will not charge from any of the 4 USB-C ports. Used 3 different USB-C cables and 2 different USB-C Wall Adapters, tried using different outlets as well. 2 of the cables and both of the wall adapters are from Apple and charge my iPhone and iPad without issue. MacBook Pro won’t even charge from my external display (nor would detect it as an external monitor). While it’s unable to receive power, it is still able to charge my iPhone and iPad.

Contacted Apple tech support via chat and phone and both of which recommended I take it in for diagnostic. Problem is that the nearest Apple Store is 45 minutes away and earliest date is Wednesday. I’m trying to get this fixed ASAP. I still have 50% battery in case more information is needed

System Report -> Battery shows that nothing is charging so I believe it all points to the SMC. I have tried resetting the SMC numerous times and I’m at a dead end. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't think you have much choice other than to take it in to Apple and have them run diagnostics. Could be a defective charging circuit which would likely result in Apple changing out the Logic Board.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I don't think you have much choice other than to take it in to Apple and have them run diagnostics. Could be a defective charging circuit which would likely result in Apple changing out the Logic Board.

attempted one more SMC reset and this time it worked. Not gonna touch it until it’s at 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.