Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slvdrfrncs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Hi all! I got my macbook pro (2020 model) recently (purchased September 25) and I noticed that the hinge is a bit too stiff at times. I know Apple have designed their laptops in such a way that you can open the lid with one hand, and the body will stay in place, but that isn't the case for me. Whenever I try lifting the lid of the macbook, the body lifts along with the lid. It isn't really a bothersome problem for me, its just that I got so used to opening my 2015 retina with 2 fingers that it's taking a while to get used to with this new mac. I also noticed after lifting and shutting the lid a few times, the problem goes away. However, after being idle (opened or closed lid) for a while, the problem will persist. Is this normal for the newer models? Should I be worried? I mean, i'd much rather have a stiff lid than a loose one, but you know, if it's a problem, and covered under warranty, I'd like to have it chekced. As much as I want to bring it in to a service center in the Philippines, it would take nearly a week, maybe even 2 for diagnosis, and my work is purely online, and I have no other device to use except this, so I'm avoiding that. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4710.PNG
    IMG_4710.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 472

Mike Slayer

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2020
I ordered my 2020 MacBook Pro 13" this past Summer. Mine also seemed stiffer than I was expecting but over time it have broken in nicely. It opens and closes easy but not too easy. It's also smooth as butter all the way around.

Reactions: me55

slvdrfrncs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
I ordered my 2020 MacBook Pro 13" this past Summer. Mine also seemed stiffer than I was expecting but over time it have broken in nicely. It opens and closes easy but not too easy. It's also smooth as butter all the way around.
Thanks for this. Hope mine breaks in as well!

dalemoncayo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
Hi Mike. I'm currently experiencing the same issue that you are experiencing. I'm also from the Philippines too and I recently bought this MacBook Pro 2020 this November. Is your MacBook hinge fixed overtime, or did you went to the iStore Service Center?

Mike Slayer

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi Mike. I'm currently experiencing the same issue that you are experiencing. I'm also from the Philippines too and I recently bought this MacBook Pro 2020 this November. Is your MacBook hinge fixed overtime, or did you went to the iStore Service Center?

Yes my hinge did break in and loosen up over time. I never needed to take it in to the Apple store. Give it some time and you should be good to go.

Basim Aslam

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2021
Hey I am having the exact same problem as your mac. I got mine about two weeks ago. How did you solve it? Did you have to go the service centre? I think this problem was not visible during the first week of using my mac

slvdrfrncs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Hey I am having the exact same problem as your mac. I got mine about two weeks ago. How did you solve it? Did you have to go the service centre? I think this problem was not visible during the first week of using my mac
Mine just resolved itself on its own. Hope it does the same for you!

Reactions: Mike Slayer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.