Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
So, after my first MBP came with a broken screen, a few days ago, I finally got a new one. 16", base model, 1Tb SSD, Space Gray. And I am amazed how good it is. But it's not just about the amazing performance. Or the insane battery life. What really amazed me is how well rounded this computer is. Apple Silicon is so good - and not just because of the speed or efficiency.

The "little" things

- Attaching or detaching an external display, turning Side Car on or off, moving displays around (left or right to the MacBook's screen), changing resolution - is instant now. There is no screen flicker, turning to black or anything - it is instant. You attach a monitor, it lights up. You detach it - windows just transfer to the built-in screen. You change the resolution - elements just resize. For years I thought screens had to flicker, turn off and back on - whenever you change these things - but no, no they don't.

- I see a lot of people comparing Apple and Intel/AMD CPUs based on benchmarks, but they are missing the point. It's not that Apple chips are faster per watt (they are), it's that they make the Mac feel more like a different kind of computer. For me, Macs were like PCs but with nicer hardware and nicer OS. But now, these feel like a different class of device. It's like a jump from HDD to SSD. Having a second GPU, hearing fans for most things, waiting for anything during regular use - feels like hard drive platters and mechanical parts compared to solid state draves. Other PC CPUs can even win at benchmarks at this point - I'd still choose Apple Silicon because of how they make using a Mac feel.

- iOS and iPad apps actually work fine. Better than I expected. Sure, they are not built for Mac, but they are surprisingly usable. iPad art apps support Wacom pressure sensitivity. Media apps that support Files on iOS/iPadOS open files from your disk like regular apps. They all work extremely fast and are smooth. Their widgets work. Like, if you told me Overcast was a Mac app, I'd believe you. Of all apps I tried - IKEA app was the only one that had an issue, as it detected my Mac as a jailbroken device :)

Hardware

- Keyboard is great, speakers are great, the computer looks amazing. You know all that - to quote Han Solo: It's true. All of it.

- The screen is something else. Look, I've heard of people complain about ghosting, response times, flicker. I don't know what to tell you - if you're one of those people, you know what you like and what you dislike. For me - this screen looks amazing. HDR looks insane. Blacks are OLED level. Colors pop. Viewing angles are great. It looks just as good, if not better than my iPad Pro mini LED screen. And if it wasn't for blooming, it would look better than my OLED TV for media consumption (and it's close).

- Speaking of HDR, not really a hardware feature, but macOS has amazing HDR support. Compared to Windows, it's such a huge difference. Not only can you get "localized" HDR on the screen (like, just in the YT window, or within the frame of a photo) while the rest of the screen is SDR - you get the same effect on external HDR screens that support local dimming zones or have self-emissive displays. It works great on my OLED TV.

- The computer is silent and cool. It takes an effort to get it warm and to hear the fans. Ironically, fans are quieter than any previous generation, or any laptop I've ever tried.

- I don't know if it's the chip or the new sensor, but Touch ID is insanely fast. I barely tap the button and it registers. I've used Touch ID on iPhones, iPads and Macs - this one feels faster.

- The hinge feels really nice.

RAM

- I've always said that some people need 32 or 64Gb RAM, but not everyone - and for me, 16Gb is certainly enough. And I'm not a casual user either. I opened up Blender, Zbrush, Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint and opened some heavy projects in those apps. My Mac was just as responsive. Then I opened several tabs with big Artstation images. Then I opened a few tabs with ClickUp documents, which spend around 1Gb each. Then, just for kicks, I opened World of Warcraft alongside those (I subbed again just to test this out ?). I have no idea in what universe I'd ever want a game open alongside those things, but hey, why not. Everything ran smoothly. I was multitasking and working without lag and getting back to some smooth frame-rates in Shadowlands. I completely understand some projects benefit from 32 or 64Gb, but I'm really starting to doubt some claims here how their MacBooks were laggy because of 16Gb RAM.

- Speaking of RAM, Activity Monitor on my previous MacBook was almost always in the green, but the swap file was several gigabytes in size. Here, it rarely uses swap at all - it's usually 0 or a couple of tens or hundreds of Mb. The pressure does go into yellow more often, but it rarely swaps (it compresses memory it seems, and does some dark magic behind the scenes, I have no idea, but it almost always hovers between 10 and 14Gb no matter what I have open). It never gets slow or irresponsive (and I did try to get it to lag). I usually told people to check their memory pressure, but now I'd just say - don't even look at it. Is the computer slow or unresponsive? No? Good, you're fine (and even if it does lag, people seem to attribute every slowdown to RAM for some reason). With that said, when I did manage to get it to swap (by, um, running WoW alongside Blender, Zbrush, Photoshop and CSP as I said), it also didn't slow down.

- There's definitely a reason to get more RAM if your projects are huge. There really is. I keep saying: it's not Apple's conspiracy to get you to spend more - if you need it, you know you need it, you can have it. But for a lot of workflows - maybe even most workflows - comparing RAM between these new Macs and old Macs and PCs is like comparing RAM on iPhones and Android devices. RAM is RAM, true, Apple is not magically increasing the value of a Gigabyte with unicorn dust - but how well a computer runs and how responsive it is - that's a separate thing, and the rules are different here.

Last edited:

Marathonianbull

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
100% true, there is something very exciting about this new breed of Mac; speaking for myself, a kind of exhilaration not felt since the days of the very first IBM RISC-based PowerPC desktop namely the Apple Power Macintosh 6100! One foot in the comfort of a very intuitive machine-to-man relationship, one foot in the futuristic realm of small (albeit very powerful) form factor computers.

Attachments

• 0FD0F240-5F93-440F-BF37-62AEE36A36C1.jpeg
    0FD0F240-5F93-440F-BF37-62AEE36A36C1.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 229

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
MAC’s simply run like an iPad Pro’s now, that is what you are experiencing.

Apple simply took their chips from the iOS devices and put it in their MAC’s.

Reactions: Rashy

robertfrancis70

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
aevan, this was a great, really thoughtful review.

Nice to hear you express a vote of confidence in 16 gigs despite your being a heavy user. I'm in that camp too.

Reactions: xmach

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Simply? :)

I don't thing anything was simple in that process, but yeah :)

Besides that, they still run like Macs do, just smoother and more quiet and efficient. iPads operate very differently.

Reactions: progx

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
I get the idea of OP @aevan with the title of the thread... ? I've got also the 16" MacBook Pro, and it's being a little strange how this machine feels...
When first I got my hands on it, it felt soooo heavy... solid and complete, like a thick marble slab... I felt a little worried thinking that it wasn't really "portable".
And the charger is a big heavy brick! OMG, I can't take this with me...

Well, days after:
the charger is used at home, perhaps needed 3 days in a week! And it charges so fast! The routines and problems with battery charge have disappeared for me ?.
I keep laptop in a nylon sleeve, gets into my work bag, fits perfectly well. But yes, I feel the weight.
But I open this machine on my desk and works beautifully, cold & silent !! And, heck, it feels powerful! It feels like a desktop workstation. EDIT: feels like a luxury desktop workstation (oh, the sound and screen... and the keyboard!...)
I haven't been under 30% battery never after a working day. (No heavy tasks, just browser, Teams, some video/audio streaming, and text/documents production/managing... and in short sessions).
If I care, I plug magsafe for a little while at home.

No, it's not exactly like how an iPad feels... I use my iPad Pro a lot also. The iPad is MORE charger-dependant, and the things you can do with it are so different...
No, no: -to me- the MacBook16 hanging from my shoulder is like kind of a magic trick, I feel I've achieved to make a full grand piano to fit in my bag; it's weird.

Yes. It's something about how it feels... ?
(Well, my thoughts after two week use... Let's see how it goes... But, yes, I'm impressed).

Last edited:

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
MAC’s simply run like an iPad Pro’s now, that is what you are experiencing.
Well said. It feels like something Windows will never achieve. Buttery smooth and instant. "It just works".
Heck, even on my 2015 MBP, when I use NightOwl to change day/night-mode, it's happening without any flickering or bugs, and even plays well with my Firefox addon DarkReader which also darkens the whole websites and vice versa. While on my business Dell (i5, 16GB RAM, SSD) the same process is sloppy and awkward to watch. I guess it's due to the different way window/explorer GUI elements are rendered.

Also I agree, the new MBPs look and feel marvelous. Truly Pro again. Can't wait to get mine.

Reactions: progx

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I get the idea of OP @aevan with the title of the thread... ? I've got also the 16" MacBook Pro, and it's being a little strange how this machine feels...
When first I got my hands on it, it felt soooo heavy... solid and complete, like a thick marble slab... I felt a little worried thinking that it wasn't really "portable".
And the charger is a big heavy brick! OMG, I can't take this with me...

Well, days after:
the charger is used at home, perhaps needed 3 days in a week! And it charges so fast! The routines and problems with battery charge have disappeared for me ?.
I keep laptop in a nylon sleeve, gets into my work bag, fits perfectly well. But yes, I feel the weight.
But I open this machine on my desk and works beautifully, cold & silent !! And, heck, it feels powerful! It feels like a desktop workstation. EDIT: feels like a luxury desktop workstation (oh, the sound and screen... and the keyboard!...)
I haven't been under 30% battery never after a working day. (No heavy tasks, just browser, Teams, some video/audio streaming, and text/documents production/managing... and in short sessions).
If I care, I plug magsafe for a little while at home.

No, it's not exactly like how an iPad feels... I use my iPad Pro a lot also. The iPad is MORE charger-dependant, and the things you can do with it are so different...
No, no: -to me- the MacBook16 hanging from my shoulder is like kind of a magic trick, I feel I've achieved to make a full grand piano to fit in my bag; it's weird.

Yes. It's something about how it feels... ?
(Well, my thoughts after two week use... Let's see how it goes... But, yes, I'm impressed).
soooo heavy compared to what? the MBP 13 is virtually the same wright as a Dell XPS 13, the MBP 14 is a half pound lighter than the Dell XPS 15, and MBP 16 is lighter than a Dell XPS 17 (OK, but Dell doesn't make a 16)., and only 6 oz heavier than the old MBP 16. Is it heavier than a MBA? yes. Is a 14 heavier than a 13? yes. But overall, they are not that heavy compared to comparable, and that doesn't even account for better battery and speed.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Rene Ritchie made a very good comment that I agree with. I know people get frustrated with things geared towards video editing, but my macs used to be useless when I click export since it pegged the CPU and GPU. Now that exporting prores or HEVC is off cpu/GPU and on dedicated encoders, it is essentially gaining a second Mac. I can keep working while my video is exporting since it’s freeing up the CPU and GPU quite a bit now.

This is where Apple Silicon shines. Using the Neural cores also frees up the CPU and GPU. We essentially have several “processors” so to speak. So comparing it to Intel and AMD is comparing Apples to Oranges - pun intended.

Also RAM is a tough topic. I was having yellow memory pressure on a 64GB M1Max using After Effects Rosetta version with a 1080p 5 second project. Same project maxes out my Windows PC RAM which is 128GB. But I don’t think anyone will say I need more. AE uses as much as I allow it in the settings. And yeah it’s a high memory traffic app so it makes sense there is not okay memory pressure going on.

lilkwarrior

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA
Being an owner of the Pro Display XDR, PA32UCG, Liquid Retina iPad Pro, iPhone 13 Pro, and several CX OLEDs, I have to strongly disagree with you about the screen being OLED level black. It seems to be pretty clear in Apple Stores it being easy enough for blooming to occur on the new display while I wait for my M1 Max to use one daily.

Memory is a serious concern for productive laptop users who want to multitask with it at a desktop replacement level or a combination of engineering and design. 32GB is conventional of being the minimum for such people and it being ideal to use 64GB+ RAM. PC laptops and desktop workstations are specced that way accordingly.

16GB RAM is manageable with a very-cloud-oriented workflows. M1 Pro and M1 Max users would be severely under-capping themselves using 16GB (16GB not an optional for M1 Max for obvious reasons accordingly).

What I got if you're curious: M1 Max, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD in Silver. Irks me that they didn't add HDMI 2.1 nor Wifi 6E, but those aren't deal breakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: -DMN- and roncron

dallegre

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
I'm thinking about writing a similar review from a mostly docked, mostly "creative" app user perspective. Things haven't been quite as smooth (random wakes from sleep, drive disconnections, usb/internal audio switching isn't working automagically). Overall though, the computer kind of just gets out of the way. I don't have to worry or think about cpu or ram usage. I don't really have to worry about the battery when I'm undocked. The keyboard doesn't suck or require relearning how to type. I don't need to carry any dongles. It's not loud or hot. It's the most boring computer that I've used in a long time in a kind of revolutionary way.

TimmKook

Suspended
Sep 1, 2020
Could you test something for me? If the laptop is plugged in and charging, if you close the lid for 10 mins and then open up and try to unlock with TouchID does it work?
With mine, if my 16" MBP is charging after it's been asleep for a few mins, it will not unlock with TouchID. I have to unplug the MagSafe charger to get it to unlock. :(
Something to do with the electric current messes it up

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
They are GREAT until something breaks.

The only thing you can replace on your own is the battery.

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
@aevan great great review, these machines are truly wonderful and perform like a beast, also all the details you mention in your post are seconded one by one.

MacOS is great as always has been, and in these machines, it literally flies. Not just that, the screen is amazing so as the speakers, the media experience witht these starts with "WOW". And as you mention, if you work hard with it, typing is incredible, same sensation that typing on an "Apple" desktop keyboard (which I own several ones from 2011-2015 era) ... great, great sensations.

And yes, as you mention, I'm one of those that "needed" the 32GB RAM, but just for my personal uses, memory handling works really really well, and for most of the people 16GB will fit ok if swap uses are not that high, cause SSD's are fastly insane, so if your use just requires 5%-15% of the time swap memory, definitely go with 16GB.

Overall and IMHO, best laptop they ever made since 2009-2012 unibody designs. I'm so happy you're enjoying it, I know you waited quite a bit for it, you deserve it! Congrats!!! :)

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
soooo heavy compared to what? the MBP 13 is virtually the same wright as a Dell XPS 13, the MBP 14 is a half pound lighter than the Dell XPS 15, and MBP 16 is lighter than a Dell XPS 17 (OK, but Dell doesn't make a 16)., and only 6 oz heavier than the old MBP 16. Is it heavier than a MBA? yes. Is a 14 heavier than a 13? yes. But overall, they are not that heavy compared to comparable, and that doesn't even account for better battery and speed.
...I suppose compared to iPad. I've got used to do my tasks on iOS at work (lots of limitations, but ok; I'm a teacher) and leave for home (i7 iMac27") more complicated duties.
My last laptop was a cute 12" white MacBook, almost 20 years ago. I loved it.
And YES, YOU ARE RIGHT!: went to MacTracker to check, and my actual metal frame 16" pro machine is a little bit LIGHTER! ?

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Many of us have had this feeling for over a year now. The pros just do it a little (in some dimensions, quite a bit more than a little) more.

Yeah, I didn’t want to make the long post even longer, but wanted to say that this is my first Apple Silicon Mac (not my first M1 device, that goes to my iPad Pro) - so that a lot of these experiences are not new to people with M1 Macs.

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
100% true, there is something very exciting about this new breed of Mac; speaking for myself, a kind of exhilaration not felt since the days of the very first IBM RISC-based PowerPC desktop namely the Apple Power Macintosh 6100! One foot in the comfort of a very intuitive machine-to-man relationship, one foot in the futuristic realm of small (albeit very powerful) form factor computers.
Hey, I have one of those!!! They were clearing out a floor of my old lab’s building for renovations and had a bunch of old Apple gear headed for the e-Waste, so I saved a 6100/66AV (and a few other things) from the bin. Happily running Mac OS 8.6!

Love the oddball guitar-strum boot chime.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I felt this way about the MacBook Air 2010 and still today.
and i can add more hard drive space if needed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.