Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KRK25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
Hello everyone,

I currently have the below:

MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Max 1TB 32GB

I've ordered the below:

MacBook Air 2022
Apple M2 chip with 8‑core CPU, 10‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
1TB
24GB

I wanted to know whether anyone has any views on their performance relative to one another.

I don't do any video or picture editing and use my MBP for heavy spreadsheets, data analysis software - tableau reader and the full office suite along with WhatsApp etc

Thanks in advance

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
damn, you full sent it on a MBA ha. I doubt you'll notice any difference between the two doing basic stuff.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Hello everyone,

I currently have the below:

MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Max 1TB 32GB

I've ordered the below:

MacBook Air 2022
Apple M2 chip with 8‑core CPU, 10‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
1TB
24GB

I wanted to know whether anyone has any views on their performance relative to one another.

I don't do any video or picture editing and use my MBP for heavy spreadsheets, data analysis software - tableau reader and the full office suite along with WhatsApp etc

Thanks in advance
Given your workflow, why did you buy the M1 Max in the first place? You don't seem to be using the GPUs so why spend money doubling up the GPUs but with the same CPU cores as an unbinned M1 Pro?

Obviously the M2 is going to have a lot less GPU grunt—10 cores vs. 24 or 32 GPU cores on the M1 Max. The M2 also is going to be a lot slower on multicore loads too—the M2 is approximately 25% slower on multicore than the 10 core M1 Max. Anything that heavily relies on single core performance will be faster on the M2—the M2 Air will be about 10% faster on single core.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.