Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I have a 2010 i7 MacBook Pro 6.2 (A1286) that has been running Catalina with no issues via Dosdude patch.

This is our kitchen computer, used primarily for checking emails, web browsing, watching recipe videos, and the occasional Amazon purchase. I also use it to control a headless MacMini server remotely and print school documents on a Samsung WiFi laser printer.

It is also used by children, so we sometimes wonder how safe it can be without the updates.

I'm wondering whether to leave it as it is or try to squeeze more time out of it by installing Monterey or BigSur via OCLP.

Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Tbailey639

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2022
I also have the same MacBook running Monterey with no problems besides screen mirror giving black screen and only Audio. Airplay works for sound and video streaming still and it’s pretty stable

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
@Tbailey639 Would you mind posting your OCLP EFI for Monterey? Also, do you remember if you needed to customize the EFI or were you able to use the unmodified EFI generated by OCLP? Thank you.

@zterm I was hoping to hear from @Tbailey639 before responding to you, but I guess not. I have installed Big Sur on my HackBookPro6,2 and Big Sur runs perfectly. I have some boot issues with Monterey. If you're happy with Big Sur, I recommend that at this time. I'm using OCLP 0.5.1.

Last edited:

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
I have now upgraded my HackBookPro6,2 to Ventura 13.2 with OCLP 0.6.1. I'm impressed! Monterey is now my "production" version of macOS for my rig while I continue to tinker with Ventura. The OCLP team is doing an awesome job.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 6.54.12 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.