Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XgamesMFZB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2022
Hello! =)

First post here!

Just acquired a (reasonnably priced, cheap) MacBook Pro 8,1 , early 2011 13" (Dodged a bullet lol, didn't knew 15 and 17" had dGPU issues hehe). This is my first Mac (I have been using Hackintoshes since 2014 but it was a challenge/educational thing more than any use). Other than that, I had an iMac G3 for a few years in 2014 (Experimented with pre-Leopard haha). I got this Intel Mac hoping to learn more about the machine itself and boot process - Might consider an M1 later on.

So I installed Windows 11 on the MacBook without relying on Bootcamp to learn if it actually could be done, as I thought, yes - I managed to get everything working using the BootCamp drivers package 041-84821 intended for the MacBookPro9,2 (Ivy Bridge HD 4000), pretty much out of the box, the only thing not working is the Thunderbolt 2 port, plugged in on a 4K miniDP monitor, which the screen is black. In Control Panel, I can see the other monitor resolution is @ 2560x1600 60 Hz which is supposely the max resolution supported by the Mac, but it's just black. Booting Windows with the cable plugged in or not makes no difference. Using the PrintScreen shortcut, I can paste the screenshot and see that there's an image on the other screen that way.

The monitor works perfectly under High Sierra and Monterey (Using OpenCore Legacy Patcher - Cool stuff) at 2560x1440 60 Hz (Can also be raised to 3840x2160 natively without hacks, crappy 30 Hz, but seriously, how is this possible? I thought the max was 2560x1600 no matter what?).

The Windows HD 3000 drivers appears to be latest version as well, to my knowledge: 9.17.10.4459 2016-05-19

One thing I noticed, Device Manager isn't showing any errors/triangles but listed is only 1 "Generic PNP Monitor" - Shouldn't that show Apple or Integrated Display (No clue - I'm new to BootCamp drivers) ?
I have been trying to update the "Generic Monitor Driver" forcefully to the Bootcamp MacBookPro8,1 and 9,2 INF , but it'll just report that it's not compatible / already have the latest driver installed.

The other thing I can mention is that the brightness slider using the function keys works (on the laptop display only of course) but is showing the Microsoft slider, not the Mac/Bootcamp slider (However, audio slider and all the other functions keys are showing the Apple OSD). Is this expected behavior with Bootcamp?

I'm curious - Any idea?

Appreciated,

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.