Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berkaay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2016
My Early 2011 MacbookPro 13" 's USB ports stopped working. I wasn't able to use one of them(rear one) since 1 year.However yesterday I plugged in my Apple Keyboard and keyboard did not work. I am sure that I can get power out of them so I am sure I have some connection to the motherboard.(I can light up USB-powered LEDs and even I can use an old Microsoft mouse with it. I tried PRAM reset and SMC reset did not work.

Additional Notes:
In that 1 year I sometimes happened to use the rear USB but %80 it was not working.
Apple Keyboard is working with no problem with another Macbook.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), With SSD

squarebreathing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Baltimore
This is a 4-5 year old macbook. Once they get this old it's not uncommon for various parts to breakdown. It is not normal, but a laptop that is over the 4 year mark has the chance of breaking down due to wear and tear on the system. The only things I can recommend would be to try and reinstall OSX (which is a long shot to fix this issue) or look into a thunderbolt USB hub. They run about $50 or so. Essentially you could create USB ports using the computer's thunderbolt connection. You could always take it in for repair, but I really don't see the point of throwing more money towards it when it is this old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.