Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
Hello everyone,
I have an older MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012. Upon startup I'm getting the common "grey sceen of death." If I hold Command-R at startup, it takes me to a spinning globe, asks me to choose my wifi network, then says "starting internet recovery."

It then takes me to the OS X Utilities menu 1) Restore Time Machine 2) Reinstall OS X 3) Get Help Online 4) Disk Utilities

I'm wondering how to proceed?
  • I do use an external HD to backup the computer via Time Machine. My last full backup was a few months back, but I don't have any new files on the computer, as I mostly use iCloud or other clouds. I'm not worried about losing files, as I haven't saved any to the actual internal HD since the last backup, even though it was last March 2023. I still wouldn't mind trying to do a backup without erasing the HD and reinstalling the OS. But, I don't think I'm in danger of losing anything crucial.
  • I did install Catalina OS on Tuesday, as it was a suggested update. Not positive what OS I was already using (I know, this is a basic thing to know. Sorry.)
  • After installing Catalina I realized Word wouldn't work any longer. Thus, I wanted to uninstall Catalina. I plugged in my external XD to do a Time Machine backup, just to be safe. While it was connected, the computer went into the continual reboot situation. I shut it down. Upon restart, I was getting the grey screen
  • I hadn't had any issues prior to the Catalina OS install
  • A few years back I did install a new SATA HD, as my internal HD crashed and was damaged.

I'm wondering how best to proceed. Thank you in advance!

ron26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
Forgot to add that I have access to:
- a 2019 Mac desktop
- an empty 1TB external HD
- a USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD cable w/USAP

Again, the internal HD went bad a few years back, was outside of warranty, and I upgraded from the original to a faster/bigger SSD and installed that myself. Has worked just fine for 5+ years.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd put Catalina back on it (since that boots properly without the grey screen).

After that, I'd work out the problems with Word.

Fishrrman's "Mac Rule Number 1":
A Mac that boots (to any version of the OS) is preferable to one that won't boot at all.

ron26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
Okay, but when I try to reinstall OS through internet recovery reboot...OS X Mountain Lion. "Select the disk where you want to install OS X"...and there is nothing to pick.

Do I need to erase my disk? (which I don't want to do, I'd prefer to do another TM backup before erasing the SSD. I'd rather buy and install a new SSD and salvage the files on it some way. My last Time Machine backup was March 2023.)

Partition it via disk utility?

ron26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
Can I remove the internal SSD, attach it to the USB SATA cable and then try to save the files to my desktop Mac? Then assess the physical health of the SSD or just put a new one in the Macbook and reinstall the OS to the new SSD via my external HD with the March 2023 Time Machine backup?

This way I'd be sure to recover/save all my files and I'd have a new, healthy SSD?

Sounds like I can also use a cable (USB or Thunderbolt cable) to connect the Macbook to the desktop Mac.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Don't use "Command R" at startup.

Use "Command-OPTION-R" instead.

This boots you to INTERNET recovery.

KEEP HOLDING DOWN THOSE KEYS until you're asked for your wifi password.
Then, let go and enter the wifi password and let the Mac load the internet utilities as the globe spins (it takes a while).

When you get to the utilities:
You have to make a decision:
- try a re-install without erasing
OR
- erase the entire drive and start over.

If it was me (I realize that you ARE NOT "me"), I would erase and start over.

If you're going to try that, open disk utility.

VERY IMPORTANT: go up to the "view" menu and choose the option "Show all devices".
You can't see the physical internal drive until you do this.

Now, look at "the list on the left"
The topmost item should be the physical drive inside.

Click on it, and click "erase"
Erase to APFS (GUID partition format).

When done, quit disk utility and open the OS installer.

The installer should offer you OS 10.15 "Ventura".
Start clicking through.
The Mac will reboot one or more times, and the screen will go dark for a minute or more with no other activity... just be patient.

When done, you should see the initial setup screen (choose your language).
At this point, CONNECT YOUR BACKUP DRIVE and continue.

The setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate data from another drive.
"Point the way" to the backup and give SA time to "digest" everything.

SA will present you with a list of stuff to migrate.
I suggest you migrate everything, so let SA do its thing.
Again, it will take some time.

When done, you should see your login screen, as before.

Good luck.

ron26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
Thank you for the response. I'd like to try and get the data/files off it again before I do anything. Can I do this via a MacBook Pro to iMac connect and file transfer? I think I can also do this by removing the SSD and connecting it to my USB SATA transfer cable?

I'd rather do a file save/backup again before erasing the SSD. I'm not in a huge rush, as I have an iMac to work on.

I'm not sure why the erase/reinstall OS is my best option right now. My last Time Machine backup was March 2023 and while almost everything is on iCloud or another cloud, I wouldn't mind another backup/file save.

Thank you for your reply and time, not trying to be a jerk, just a little nervous about erasing my SSD.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I'd like to try and get the data/files off it again before I do anything. Can I do this via a MacBook Pro to iMac connect and file transfer? I think I can also do this by removing the SSD and connecting it to my USB SATA transfer cable?"

You could TRY using target disk mode first, connecting to your iMac.
Get what you want from the drive.
Then, decide what the next step will be.

If that doesn't work...
I'd take the back off the MBP (you need a Phillips #00 driver)
Take the drive out,
Put it into an enclosure, or USB3/SATA dock, or USB adapter,
(take the "bosses" off the side of the drive with a TORX T-6 or VERY GENTLY use pliers to loosen them)
and then...
...see if it will mount on the iMac.

If it DOES mount, IMMEDIATELY get what data you need off of it.

Once that data is secure, you can deal with the drive.

Would you want to erase it and "start over"?
If that's the case, you might be able to install a new OS right from the iMac, and THEN put it back into the MBP and see if it boots.

The important thing is to get the data off the drive BEFORE you mess with it.

ron26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
Thank you! I'll try this ASAP, a friend/neighbor has a Thunderbolt connector cable that I can borrow. I appreciate the detailed instructions!

ron26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
"I'd like to try and get the data/files off it again before I do anything. Can I do this via a MacBook Pro to iMac connect and file transfer? I think I can also do this by removing the SSD and connecting it to my USB SATA transfer cable?"

If that doesn't work...
Take the drive out,
(take the "bosses" off the side of the drive with a TORX T-6 or VERY GENTLY use pliers to loosen them)
and then...

If that's the case, you might be able to install a new OS right from the iMac, and THEN put it back into the MBP and see if it boots.

Okay, I have the Thunderbolt-Thunderbolt connector cable. What is the proper method to enter target disk mode? Thanks!

Here is a walk through that I've found. Is this okay to follow?

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode
If you have two Mac computers with USB, USB-C, or Thunderbolt ports, you can connect them so that one of them appears as an external hard disk on the other. This is called target disk mode.

Note: If either of the computers has macOS 11 or later installed, you must connect the two computers using a Thunderbolt cable.

If you have a Mac with Apple silicon, see Transfer files between a Mac with Apple silicon and another Mac.

To watch a video explaining how to use Migration Assistant to transfer files, see the Apple Support article How to transfer data from your old Mac to a new Mac.

-Connect the two computers with a USB, USB-C, or Thunderbolt cable.

-On the Mac you want to use as the external disk in target disk mode, do one of the following:

-If the computer is off, start it up while pressing and holding the T key.

-If the computer is on, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click General in the sidebar (you may need to scroll down). Click Startup Disk on the right, then click Restart in Target Disk Mode.

-When the computer has started up, a disk icon appears on the desktop of the other computer.

-Transfer files by dragging them to and from the disk.

-Eject the disk by dragging its icon to the Trash.

-While you drag, the Trash icon changes to an Eject icon.

-On the Mac you used as a disk, push the power button to shut it down, then disconnect the cable.

ron26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024

If that doesn't work...
Take the drive out,
and then...

Okay, I connected my Macbook Pro 2012 to my iMac 2019 using the thunderbolt port on my MB, a dongle, then USB-C on the iMac. Held down T, started in target disk...the SSD is not showing up on the iMac. Went through the settings and made sure "show all disks" was checked and such, only the iMac HD shows up.

I'm guessing it's time to take the SSD out of my Macbook and plug it into the USB SATA connector and plug it into the iMac and see if I can locate my files?

Thanks!

ron26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024

If that doesn't work...
Take the drive out,
and then...

Okay, I finally removed the SSD and connected it to my iMac. GREAT NEWS - everything shows up on the SSD! I'm currently making a full clone of the Macbook SSD to an external HD via the iMac using the Carbon Copy Clone application.

How do I determine if the SSD is shot and needs to be replaced OR if it's just the connector cable in the Macbook?

Thank you!

ron26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
Trying again, what is my next step at this point? Just replace the connector cable? Can I assess it's health? I still have the SSD out of the Macbook.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Trying again, what is my next step at this point? Just replace the connector cable? Can I assess it's health? I still have the SSD out of the Macbook.
Given the SSD shows up fine on another Mac, I'd replace the SATA cable first. If the SSD was dead, it wouldn't show up anywhere.

justashooter

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2020
Connect your removed SSD via USB to the MacBook Pro and boot your machine from it. If the computer runs normally, it will be a little slow due to the USB connection, then replace the internal SATA cable. The SATA cable is a known issue with that series of MBPs. I have replaced 4-5 of them on various friends computers over the years, including my own.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with the above replies about replacing the internal drive ribbon cable.
It's a very troublesome item in the 2012 MBP's.

What happens is the internal connections in the ribbon cable go bad. Then "communication" is lost between the drive and the motherboard. The user thinks the drive has failed, but it's really just the cable.

Replace the cable, and it may boot and run without a problem.

Go to ifixit.com to get the part number for the cable.
Then you can either buy it from them or order it online.
It's not much money.

Good luck.

ron26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
Replaced the connector cable this weekend and computer runs just fine! All my files are there as well! Phew, a $15 fix sure is nice! And I replaced a battery on an iPhone I wanted to keep and that was HARD, but boy, working on a macbook was much, much easier!

Okay, now the only issue is that the OS is Catalina and my version of Word (the full suite) isn't compatible. I think folks suggest running Catalina, I'd be happy to go back to Mountain Lion if I can get Word back. What are my options here? Looks like I can purchase Word through the app store...but I can't really figure out what it'll charge me...always just says "we'll charge your account". Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Fishrrman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.