Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emerick Grimm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
Greetings! My MacBook Pro A1990 suddenly stopped charging, literally yesterday evening It was fine, but today morning it's not charging on any type C port. Things I've tried:
  • Reset SMC and PRAM
  • Checked charger with another device (it's charging my phone)
  • Connected external device to all type C ports (mouse, external Drive and fan pad), all worked
  • Checked battery health. "Condition: Normal", I've replaced it almost a year ago in apple store.
System Information report also says: "AC Charger Information: Connected: No | Charging: No". What thing also I should check and try?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd try another charger (I realize that you tried the charger you have with a phone, and it worked).
I'd STILL try a DIFFERENT charger.

That's a 2018 MBP?
Does it still have an "SMC" reset? To reset the serial ports?

It might be worth a trip to the Apple Store, to see if THEY can get charging back...

Emerick Grimm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
I'd try another charger (I realize that you tried the charger you have with a phone, and it worked).
I'd STILL try a DIFFERENT charger.

That's a 2018 MBP?
Does it still have an "SMC" reset? To reset the serial ports?

It might be worth a trip to the Apple Store, to see if THEY can get charging back...
Update. I've brought it to the repair shop, they said it's MOSFET on the board.

Emerick Grimm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
UPDATE.

Local repair shops, tried to "Diagnose" and find reasons, but only shrugged their shoulders, like - I don't know, it just doesn't work. (Those guys who said that the MOSFETs were burned out ended up saying "I don't know, it's not it, but I don't know what(".

Sent it to another country, found workshop that deals with low-level repairs, here is the conclusion:

Power rail on motherboard is cooked totally. Most likely due to the fact that a charging wire with a bit damaged braid was charging the laptop on the porch, and it ended up shorting out and frying all the circuitry and controllers. Replaced a few key controllers, no revival. They said they would try to replace the remaining controllers, but "it's unlikely to help and it's probably dead". :_)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.