Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leozc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Guys please have a look what my adaptor looks like now... :(

leozc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
EricNau said:
That's not normal. Apple should replace it. Call them again.
Called, I need to bring them the machine + adapter and wait for 3 - 4 days before they can replace it...

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Do you not have an Apple store nearby? You should be able to take the adapter into the store and get a new one. There should be no need for you to be without either the power adapter nor the computer, being as how the replacement part costs so little.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
The sleeve on my actually started to expose the wires as well. It's not nearly as bad as that, but if you bend the magsafe head about 45 degrees, you can see the copper wires exposed.

I think the main reason why the rubber sleeve began to pullback is because the way I unplugged the magsafe. Instead of unplugging the magsafe w/ the head, I used to just pull it off by the wire itself (perhaps some ppl yank it off because they think the whole magnet thing is cool). Now I unplug it by bending off the magsafe so I don't apply any unecessary pressure or force on the part where the sleeve is coming off.

I actually did a very unsafe but effective procedure to fix mine. I bent the magafe connector just enough so the end of the wire sleeving was exposed and I applied Super Glue, all around. I didn't get any Super Glue on the wire themselves of course and it works great now.

But i believe many people do yank off their magsafe on the wire rather than the connector, so that's why you see blog posts of the magsafe blowing up and sorting etc.

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
n8236 said:
But i believe many people do yank off their magsafe on the wire rather than the connector, so that's why you see blog posts of the magsafe blowing up and sorting etc.
It's a pretty bad design if Apple really expected people to unplug the magsafe connector via the actual connector instead of the cable. They've made the thing so small that's it's next to impossible to remove, especially as the magnet is so strong if you try to pull it from the end.

Besides, the whole point was the "yank and it'll pull out" thing.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I dont see why you should be without a computer for 3-4 days. I'd call them back and say that's ridiculous.. The way I see it, you ought to be able to just take the adapter in, show it to them, and have them hand you a new one. Why the wait?

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
Don't keep using it like that. Mine melted the cord and that's what it looked like that before it melted.

petite

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
leozc said:
Guys please have a look what my adaptor looks like now... :(
http://karenleo.blogspot.com/

That's nothing new. The PowerBook and iBook chargers are known to do this alot. It happened to my adapter and my brother went through two adapters in one year. The Apple store in my country didn't want to acknowledge it was a faulty design and we had to buy a new ones all the times. It costs around 100 bucks! Probably the only bad service I've gotten from Apple.

But hey, maybe that's what we have to pay for spaghetti-thin cords :)

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
My girlfriend's adapter is doing the exact same thing. Seems like, at the moment, they're playing the "its wear and tear, we don't cover it" card (like they played the "discoloration is cosmetic, we don't cover it" card with the MacBooks).

Once we get a few fires from these adapters and a couple threatened lawsuits, there will be a recall.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Perhaps it's because I don't unplug and replug often, I've never had that happen but I've had two PSU's let go for no particularly good reason so far in three months. That looks pretty terminal and unsafe. The problem seems to be partly down to the plastic they use in the white cables, and also because of the twisting of the cable that happens as you orientate the plug.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
There has been reports of people not being able to get a replacement due to AppleCare/Apple Stores claiming the adapter as a "consumable" and "wear and tear." It's nearly $100 for a replacement. Just trying to prep u in case they deny u.

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
Typical of Apple - deny deny deny! Anyhow, in the UK you'd throw the Sale of Goods Act at them - if the charger breaks in such a short amount of time then the item cannot ever be "fit for purpose".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.