Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro "13 mid 2010. Upgraded my RAM (from 4 to 8), replaced my battery and placed a second hard drive a year ago. My Macbook was as new until a few days ago. It started crashing a few times. giving sometimes black screens, white screens, blue screens, green stripes all over.. I even saw a grey screen with a code running really quick before it disappeared again.

It is now crashing immediately after start up when it tries to open applications. The screen goes black, then flashes and then sometimes, not always but most of the time it starts beeping continuously with a pause of 4 or 5 seconds in between every beep.

I tried to reposition the RAM, I unscrewed the module to see if it was out of place, I tried 1 RAM card in both sloths and the other as well, in all cases my macbook shows the same symptoms.

I also tried reset SCM. Since I clean installed my mac a few times I can't run a Apple Hardware Test and Safe Boot won't start also, tried a million times.

Is this still only a RAM problem as I thought in the beginning? Can the module be broken? Is it also a software problem?

Obviously my warranty is expired and I can' t afford a new laptop yet. Hope someone can help my clarify the issue.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Stripes on the screen would normally indicate graphics. As graphics is shared with the system RAM on your model, this would further point towards a faulty RAM module.

Was the RAM you fitted 1066MHz and was it a well known brand? If you still have your old RAM, you can try to put that back in and see if the same problem occurs.

One tone bleeping every 5 seconds means no RAM detected. Three quick beeps between 5 second intervals means RAM failure. So absolute worst case scenario, there's something up with the Logic Board. But I'd try different RAM first and see how you get on from there.

A PRAM/SMC reset couldn't hurt either. :)

redff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Hi! Thanks for your quick reply :)
It actually doesn't say MHz, this is the one I bought and placed: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/macbook-pro-(13-inch,-mid-2010)/CT3309355

I think I still have my old RAM, but its somewhere else; a 2 hour drive from here. I can only try that this weekend.

Damn, I really home it is not the Logic Board..

I dit a NVRAM reset but nothing changed..
[doublepost=1490011582][/doublepost]edit: now a quick screen appeared after start up with horizontal stripes in all collors before going black again..
[doublepost=1490012459][/doublepost]edit: Wow, I did the NVRAM reset a few more times, and my laptop is now already on without lagging for 5 minutes. I hope the problem is solved now!
I'll keep you updated.
[doublepost=1490013628][/doublepost]edit: When I did the NVRAM-reset and it started working again I tried to put back the second memory card in the lower sloth. Problems appeared again. So it appears now it was a combination of a broken memory card o sloth (if possible) and a needed NVRAM-reset.

Thanks for your help. :)
[doublepost=1490014215][/doublepost]edit: it just crashed again.. now it only crashes after a while. Could it be both memory cards got too hot? And that the lower one was damaged a lot while the upper one a little? @keysofanxiety

Last edited:
Reactions: keysofanxiety

redff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
edit: my screen turend bright pink and restarted

redff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
edit: still cnstantly crashing, I erased my hard drive in recovery mode and installed OS again.. can't even get through the install settings now.. it keeps crashing with lines in all colors on the screen again.
Is this the logic board??
[doublepost=1490023273][/doublepost]edit: got a kernel panic screen as well now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.