Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Hey everyone!

I recently bought a MBP 15" and recently hooked it up to a Dell 24" monitor via DVI. I've experimented with the various settings on the monitor and the calibration dialog in OSX. I've gotten it to be OK but the Dell still looks a little clumsy and quite as sleek as the MBP monitor or Apple Cinema display. Are there any setting I'm forgetting about? Also, what is the Usb connection for?

Thanks

Blacky

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Are you talking about the 2405 or 2407?

I have the 2407 and it has a Mac mode for colors, colors always looked a little off between the mbp and the 2407, after changing it to mac mode it looked almost exactly the same.

Also make sure you are running it in the native resolution.

dsound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
thanks for the replies. Yeah, it just looks a little fuzzy. The color scheme is Mac
and Mac Normal (the menu below). Not sure what the native mode is. It's a 2700, btw...

saxondale.

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
England/China
Are you talking about the 2405 or 2407?

I have the 2407 and it has a Mac mode for colors, colors always looked a little off between the mbp and the 2407, after changing it to mac mode it looked almost exactly the same.

Also make sure you are running it in the native resolution.
could you post your exact settings please?

dsound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
exact settings

here they are:

resolution for Dell - 1600x1000 (I could swear I set it to the highest)

colors - millions

refresh - 60hz

on the Dell menu:

Color settings mode - Mac mode
Color adjustment - Mac normal

I tried a calibration. Maybe I should go back to the default. I discovered the Mac mode option later on...

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Well, the native resolution of a 24" Dell monitor is 1920 x 1200 so that is probably why you are seeing a fuzzy image. Try changing it to that.

Also, I assume you are connected using DVI (as opposed to VGA). If you are connected with VGA get a DVI cable as quickly as possible because the conversion to and from analogue can also mess with the colors and sharpness of the image.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I'm looking at getting the 2407 for my MBP. Will likely order on Monday.

I'm not sure, but I would think the USB would likely need to be plugged in to use the card readers, in addition to the hub functionality. Am I wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.