Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Hi folks,

Well I just did something I may regret: I ran Software Update today. And I noticed a battery firmware update was avaialble for my MBP promising "better performance for your 15 inch MacBook Pro."

So, I ran it.

Three hours later, my power supply has been charging my battery and will not stop, even though iStat Pro lists the battery level at 100%. My MBP doesn't know how much time is left (it's been saying "calculating" for the past two hours).

I tried resetting the SMC twice. Still calculating, and still charging.

So, what do I do now? Has this "update" just bricked my MBP battery, or perhaps even worse, broken something on the MBP? Is there some way I "back out" of this update?

Time to call Apple? :/

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
well, I was just about to call, and it FINALLY stopped "Calculating" an stopped charging. Now my battery is at 100% and my magsafe charger is showing green.

I guess that means all is well, but I'll keep an eye on it.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Does this mean there is an update for the battery? Or is this an old update? Sorry for the Q's I am at work and can't tell now. Or I can go check Apple.com

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
i had some problems with it too. i did the update, then decided to calibrate my battery by draining it completely (i followed the directions on apple.com). then, when it was fully charged again, i kept getting the "your computer needs to be restarted" message every time it woke from sleep. not sure what the deal is. it happened about 3 times and hasn't happened again since yesterday so i hope its all better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.