Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaneAlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2020
Winchester, VA
I need advice on a MacBook Pro purchase.

Currently, I'm using a late-2015 MacBook Pro, which is the last model before the move to all USB C ports. It's been a real workhorse, but lately, I’m really feeling it’s 8GB of RAM and 2015 processor, which struggle to keep up with my workflow.

So I've been doing some perusing of the MacBook Pro models that are available, and two models have caught my eye. Aside from the display size and a couple of particular specs, they're *very* similar. I'm hoping that someone can explain to me how much of a performance difference there exists between the two, and how much better the more expensive model is over the less expensive model versus the difference in cost.

Here's what I'm considering:

Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch (2020, MWP42LL/A)
  • 16GB LPDDR4
  • 512GB SSD
  • 2.0GHz 10th-Gen Intel Core i5
  • Integrated Intel Iris Plus Graphics
  • $1649 on B&H

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch (Late-2019, MVVJ2LL/A)
  • 16GB LPDDR4
  • 512GB SSD
  • 2.6GHz 9th-Gen Intel Core i7
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5300M GPU (4GB GDDR6)
  • $2099 on B&H
In addition to advice between these two models, I have a question about the Intel chips... I assume the 16-inch model's Core i7 would be more powerful than the 13-inch model's Core i5 even though the i5 is technically a 10th-Gen chip while the i7 is a 9th-Gen chip. Is that actually the case? Or is the 10th-Gen i5 more powerful than the 9th-Gen i7?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.