Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dietzg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I got my MacBook Pro in July for college. I am an architecture major so I opted for a mac. I am a first time mac user and was very happy with the MBP when it finally arrived at my house.

At about the end of August, I started noticing that the left lower corner of the casing was starting to pop off. Every time that I would rest my hand on the computer after not using it for a short while, I would hear a pop!

I figured the problem wouldn't get worse, but it did over time.

Then, this morning, just as I was leaving for class, I grabbed my backpack off my bed and the strap broke, sending my laptop to the floor. It was in Incase sleeve inside the bag, so I'm sure the damage could have been worse, but now I am absolutely distraught at what happened. The same corner is now a bit dented on one side, and bowed out on the other. The upper surface at that area is now popping off much much more, making it hard to even close the lid now.

I bought the three year Apple Care plan... Can I get my MBP fixed?

digitalpencil

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Manchester, UK
Sorry dude.. you might of stood a chance before you dropped it but applecare doesn't cover accidental damage :(
Your best bet is to look through your house insurance policy & see if that'll cover you.. if not, take it to an authorised repair store and get a quote for a new lid

dietzg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
So there's no possible way I can get this fixed by Apple for free, even though I paid $350 for this kind of thing?

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I was told that having AppleCare was, in fact, good to have for accidental damage like dropping it. If I were you, I'd take it to an AppleStore or call AppleCare and tell them that the case is coming apart. Don't even mention anything about dropping it.

dietzg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Alright, I called AppleCare and they made me an appointment to go to an Apple Store (3 hours away! :eek:) so I will be driving up to Richmond from Virginia Tech this weekend. Hopefully they will be able to fix my chassis free of charge. I really can't afford to pay put of pocket for the repairs... I googled some prices for replacement parts and an entirely new chassis is $500.

My parents said that my computer is on their homeowners', so hopefully if worse comes to worst the insurance will pay for it to be fixed.

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
I was told that having AppleCare was, in fact, good to have for accidental damage like dropping it. If I were you, I'd take it to an AppleStore or call AppleCare and tell them that the case is coming apart. Don't even mention anything about dropping it.

No, it doesn't cover any accidental damage. Unless they decide to cover at their own discretion, but that is usually unlikely.

rosh325

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
I agree about not mentioning the drop.

However, if you are getting nowhere, you could try arguing that the defect may have affected how the laptop faired the drop. If the area was already compromised to begin with, then who knows how bad that made it.

Also be polite, and explain that you need your laptop for work, and that after paying $2000+, you should get a defect free screen. Also let them know how far you went and that applecare was on your side and told you to come in

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Contrary to what some people believe, most geniuses aren't completely dense. They're likely to see right through the playing dumb game. Dents don't appear from nowhere. They're caused by accident or abuse.

Applecare is not meant to cover accidental damage. If you tell the truth, tell them you're a poor student and it was an unfortunate accident, perhaps somebody might have mercy on you. But don't think for a minute that your chances will be any better by remaining silent.

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Contrary to what some people believe, most geniuses aren't completely dense. They're likely to see right through the playing dumb game. Dents don't appear from nowhere. They're caused by accident or abuse.

Applecare is not meant to cover accidental damage. If you tell the truth, tell them you're a poor student and it was an unfortunate accident, perhaps somebody might have mercy on you. But don't think for a minute that your chances will be any better by remaining silent.

Exactly.

dietzg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
So should I explain in full detail what happened? I don't want to be turned away after 3+ hours of driving because they can rule this as "accidental."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.