Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2007
Belgium
Yesterday my macbook pro had a complete shutdown. So I hit the power button to reboot. The machine goes on, but the display did not and I did not hear the "boing" sound. The sleep indicator light was going on and off in pairs of two. The computer did not reboot. So I pushed the power button down for 10 sec. to shut it down manually. turned over the macbook pro an took out the battery. pushed the power button for 5 sec and putted the battery back in. The computer now booted up. finder tells me that osx had occured a shutdown or so...
This is the second time I'm having this. What is it exactly and is it something that will happen to my comp. in the future?
I was running Logic studio when the problem occurred.
If I'm recording a live band, I want to make sure my macbook pro does not shutdown.
macbook pro 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM
(sorry for my bad English)

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2007
Belgium
Oh, well I brought to an Apple premium reseller... "They are going to take a look" they say. Hope it doesn't take to long. This is the second time I had to bring my macbook pro to an Apple Store. My unit is only 2 month's old!

They said, if the sleep indicator beeps 2 times and so on, it means that that it is unmatched RAM or so. But it is just the standard RAM. If the machine crashes, the sleep indicator beeps 3 times.... 1second pauze and then again 3 beeps... and so on..
Do you know what this means?

Hockeypuck

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
I believe the three flashes is a RAM error. You might have a bad memory DIMM or a bad memory slot on the logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.