Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jensemand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
A couple of weeks ago my 2011 13" Macbook Pro started acting weird. Every time I pulled out the power cord it crashed. I can sometimes boot it up without the power cord, but I can't connect the power cord and then remove it. I have tried everything, resetting everything and so on. Someone told me that the battery was probably dead since it had hit 1000 cycles, so I replaced it. At first, it didn't turn off, but now it is doing it almost every time. I don't know what to do, so I want your help. I'm very desperate since I need it for school, so I want to fix it ASAP. Thanks in advance

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
A couple of weeks ago my 2011 13" Macbook Pro started acting weird. Every time I pulled out the power cord it crashed. I can sometimes boot it up without the power cord, but I can't connect the power cord and then remove it. I have tried everything, resetting everything and so on. Someone told me that the battery was probably dead since it had hit 1000 cycles, so I replaced it. At first, it didn't turn off, but now it is doing it almost every time. I don't know what to do, so I want your help. I'm very desperate since I need it for school, so I want to fix it ASAP. Thanks in advance
Describe in more detail what you mean by "crash" when you disconnect power.

squarebreathing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Baltimore
There may be some sort of electrical short in it. I would take it to an Apple Store if you have one nearby and try it on different power adaptors. If it is fine on another adaptor then it means it's not a computer issue, you just need a replacement power supply. If it does this on other power supplies, there is something going on in the computer itself which could be anything. I wouldn't spend money on repairing a five year old computer if it comes to that however.

Jensemand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
Thanks, man. I thought it might be the power adapter as well. I'm gonna borrow one from school tomorrow, and hopefully, that is the problem. The power adapter sometimes doesn't show the little light, either. When it does I can actually remove it without the PC crashing. Thanks for the help :)

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Was the replacement battery an Apple genuine one? Are you using a genuine Apple charger?

Doesn't sound like a crash, sounds like it powers down (they are very different things). Could be weak battery (esp if a non-genuine replacement).

Jensemand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
Everything is 100% genuine. I think it is a problem when going from cord to battery

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Everything is 100% genuine. I think it is a problem when going from cord to battery
Did you have Apple replace the battery or did you buy it somewhere else? Apple won't sell end users the batteries for the 2011 MBPs without installing them, so if you bought it elsewhere you may have gotten a counterfeit.

Jensemand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
Did you have Apple replace the battery or did you buy it somewhere else? Apple won't sell end users the batteries for the 2011 MBPs without installing them, so if you bought it elsewhere you may have gotten a counterfeit.
I replaced it myself. I bought it from a mate who had it from his dead MacBook. It only got 50 cycles. I also had the problem before I changed the battery.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
It sounds like a problem with the main logic board, since the cable between the battery and logic board is attached to the battery. Unfortunately, the main logic board is the most expensive part in that Mac to replace.

When it's plugged in and working, is the battery detected by the system?

Jensemand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
It sounds like a problem with the main logic board, since the cable between the battery and logic board is attached to the battery. Unfortunately, the main logic board is the most expensive part in that Mac to replace.

When it's plugged in and working, is the battery detected by the system?
Yes, it is detected by the system. It also charges. Sometimes I can unplug the cord, but I can't do so most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.