Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Does anybody know if MacBook Pro's have dedicated Wireless MAC addresses?

I use two Belkin things (ethernet bridge/access point/wireless network adaptor, kind of like this); one plugged into our Netgear router and one plugged into my non-wireless-enabled computer. I have them set up so that they only transmit/receive from each others' WMAC addresses, and I'd really like to just be able to put in a WMAC address for the MacBook Pro so that I don't have to drag around the Belkin box just so I can get 'net access around the house.

I'm guessing that the address would be more specific to the Airport Extreme card in the MacBook Pro rather than the actual computer itself...but does anybody know?

Thanks!

badmofo9000

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Shores of Lake Michigan
Open the System profiler and click Network, select the network in question and scroll down to the bottom of all the info. There should be an entry called "MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"

The xx:xx series should be your mac address.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
badmofo9000 said:
Open the System profiler and click Network, select the network in question and scroll down to the bottom of all the info. There should be an entry called "MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"

The xx:xx series should be your mac address.

Thanks. One more question:

Instead of going into the Belkin boxes and adding the MacBook Pro's MAC address, could I change it using something like this or this? I would unplug the recipient Belkin box, and change the MAC address of the MacBook Pro to that of the unplugged Belkin box. Would that work?

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
More questions!

I've been doing some research about all this, and I have a lot more questions.

1. Does the MacBook Pro have two MAC addresses, one for the Ethernet port (LAN) and one for the Airport Extreme card (WAN)?

2. If so, can I find the WAN MAC address for the Airport Extreme card, and how?

3. Can I change either of the MAC addresses, and if so, which one?

4. What would you recommend in my situation? Should I modify the Belkin boxes or the MacBook Pro?

The Belkin "boxes" are actually 802.11g Wireless Range Extender/Access Points, model # F5D7130.

Can anybody answer these questions?

snak-pak

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
asherman13 said:
I've been doing some research about all this, and I have a lot more questions.

1. Does the MacBook Pro have two MAC addresses, one for the Ethernet port (LAN) and one for the Airport Extreme card (WAN)?

2. If so, can I find the WAN MAC address for the Airport Extreme card, and how?

3. Can I change either of the MAC addresses, and if so, which one?

4. What would you recommend in my situation? Should I modify the Belkin boxes or the MacBook Pro?

The Belkin "boxes" are actually 802.11g Wireless Range Extender/Access Points, model # F5D7130.

Can anybody answer these questions?

Your answers:
1. Yes.
2. Open a terminal and type "ifconfig en1", your answer is on the 4th line and will look something like 00:14:43:cb:ef:ae.
3. No.
4. You have to add the WiFi MAC to our Belkin equipment. You can't change the MAC address in the laptop when using OS X. There are ways to change it using other operating systems, but that is really outside the scope of your questions.

Regards,

snak-pak

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
snak-pak said:
Your answers:
1. Yes.
2. Open a terminal and type "ifconfig en1", your answer is on the 4th line and will look something like 00:14:43:cb:ef:ae.
3. No.
4. You have to add the WiFi MAC to our Belkin equipment. You can't change the MAC address in the laptop when using OS X. There are ways to change it using other operating systems, but that is really outside the scope of your questions.

Regards,

snak-pak

Fantastic, thanks for the help.

Bunsen Burner

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Or you could just open System Preferences/Network. Show:Airport. The Airport ID is its MAC address. Similarly with Built-in Ethernet. Show:Built-in Ethernet, Ethernet button. The Ethernet ID is its MAC address.

KISS

BB

pilto

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2006
snak-pak said:
Your answers:
1. Yes.
3. No.

Regards,

snak-pak
Sorry mate, but you're dead wrong. Being a *nix system, it's really actually very easy to change you mac address....
simply type "sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:01:02:03:04:05" in the terminal... Obviously you'd want to change the address portion (00:01:02:03:04:05) to whatever MAC you want and you want to select the right interface (en0 is the ethernet card and en1 is usually the airport). Keep in mind that this change will go away upon reboot, so you could put it in your .cshrc file or .profile, or whatever depending on what shell you're using... HTH

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
pilto said:
Sorry mate, but you're dead wrong. Being a *nix system, it's really actually very easy to change you mac address....
simply type "sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:01:02:03:04:05" in the terminal... Obviously you'd want to change the address portion (00:01:02:03:04:05) to whatever MAC you want and you want to select the right interface (en0 is the ethernet card and en1 is usually the airport). Keep in mind that this change will go away upon reboot, so you could put it in your .cshrc file or .profile, or whatever depending on what shell you're using... HTH

So I can change the Airport card's MAC address; cool. Can anybody confirm this on a MacBook Pro?

pilto

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2006
asherman13 said:
So I can change the Airport card's MAC address; cool. Can anybody confirm this on a MacBook Pro?
I don't need to confirm it on a macbook pro... I can confirm it on the same operating system as the macbook pro with the same airport card.... It WILL work on th MBP... just give it a try, you won't hurt anything. Type the command (i believe en1 is the airport) then type ifconfig en1 and see if it has the MAC address that you gave it.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
pilto said:
I don't need to confirm it on a macbook pro... I can confirm it on the same operating system as the macbook pro with the same airport card.... It WILL work on th MBP... just give it a try, you won't hurt anything. Type the command (i believe en1 is the airport) then type ifconfig en1 and see if it has the MAC address that you gave it.

Fantastic; thanks.

paragonconcept

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2007
Unable to get this working

I have been unable to get this working on my 17' macbook pro

2.167 core duo

sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:01:02:03:04:05 has no effect on en1

i've also tried

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport --mac=00:01:02:03:04:05 and it refuses to hold either

any ideas ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.