Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WetcoastBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Saltspring Island, Canada
My MacB00k Pro powers down immediately when I remover the power plug. If I put it to sleep and then disconnect the power cord it remains in sleep mode. The second I open the lid it starts to wake up and then dies.
This is an early MBP (18 mo. old) with a battery replacement on guarantee as part of the overheating-battery recall August ‘06.
When I last used it with a battery (3 days ago) it ran for 1 3/4 hrs on a charge. The battery charges to 98-100%. The battery is now at 98%. (was at 100 before I unplugged the power) CocoanutBattery says - current charge: 3563 mAh, maximum battery charge 3623 mAh.
Current battery capacity: 3623 mAh, original battery capacity: 5500 mAh so current capacity is 65% which figures with my last session using the battery. Battery-loadcycles is 14 and the MBP registers that it is charging.
Do I need a new battery or is there something else wrong?

Cheers:
Bob

WetcoastBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Guess What?

So after posting this I got an idea and pulled the plug of the charger out of the wall. Guess what? No shut-down. It just started to work with the battery. I then pulled the Magsafe plug out and it continued to work just fine on the battery.
So now I check with CoconutBattery--
Current Battery Charge: 4317
Max…… 4531
Current Capacity: 4531
Original….. 5500
82%
Loadcycles still 450

Does anyone have any ideas?
Cheers:
Bob

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
your loadcycles where not 14 ?... :confused:

Something is wrong with that battery... it is detected just before you pull the plug and it shuts down ?...

WetcoastBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Typo

In my first post the battery load cycles should read 450. (Four hundred fifty). Since the second posting I have shut the MBP down and disconnected the power supply as I was leaving home and I never leave a charger charging when I am away. Six hours later I try to power up using only the battery.... Nothing. I have performed an SMC reset but it has made no difference. Once powered up with the charger plugged in I still have 99% (4506 mAh) charge. Pull the plug and she dies!
Cheers:
Bob

cmoone

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Did you ever get this resolved? Mine was doing this until today--I found this thread, followed the link to reset the SMC, pulled out my macbook pro, and lo and behold--it suddenly worked fine (before I even tried the reset).

I was curious, though, in case it starts up again. I'm about to travel overseas, and I don't want it to freak out again while I'm gone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.