Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megan0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
I bought a MacBook pro yesterday and the buyer didn't know anything about mac he wanted to erase data on his HDD, he read this article and did, but the mac stuck on recovery page and his couldn't fix it and sold it. I tried to fix it, but I realized it has firmware password when I hold ALT key, and any command has disable lick reset Nvram, COMMAND+R and ... it just goes to recovery page automatically.
I texted him and asked about password and iCloud, he said I never set a password on it, he doesn't know anything about firmware password! and said I checked it in my iCloud, and it is removed! He said my default password on my MacBook was abc123 and I used it for all the time. Also said for wipe my HDD I did whatever was advised in that article link I sent you.
it's weird how it possible? Does anyone have any idea? Thanks.

Attachments

• photo_2022-01-31_20-02-56.jpg
    photo_2022-01-31_20-02-56.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 364
  • photo_2022-02-02_20-10-09.jpg
    photo_2022-02-02_20-10-09.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 178

Willo34

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015
Netherlands
Firmware password has to be at least 6 or 8 digits if i'm not mistaken. No way round a firmware i'm afraid, yes, sorry, there are ways, but that's a nightmare, quickest solution is to buy a used logic board. Prob the previous owner did not buy the Mac and did not put the Firmware password on it. Apple can fix it, but you need the receipt of the original purchase.....

Reactions: Megan0

Megan0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
so sad, I found someone on Ebay, they sell the reprogram firmware cheap, I checked my cheap number was same and I asked him that works for my mac, he said yes. (I saw in YouTube there is a device that you can reprogram, but it's expensive like $200 and it works for many MacBook models, but replacement cheap is around $20)
does it work? has anyone experience about this method?

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
You either need the password, or you need the original purchase receipt to prove ownership to Apple. Honestly, given the age of the laptop, I would be surprised if Apple would be much help.

Anything else is going to be at your own risk.

Megan0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
does anyone know if the original seller has the purchase receipt to prove ownership, do I have to pay Apple to unlock the MacBook or is it free?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The fact that "the seller" (who sold the MBP to you) doesn't know what the firmware password IS, indicates to me that you might have bought stolen property.

At 11 years old, Apple isn't going to fix this. Forget about that.

My advice:
You bought damaged goods.
There are ways to remove a firmware password, but any of them is going to cost you money.

Either live with the password as its set
or
Return this for a refund (my guess is the seller won't accept it)
or
Put it into a corner of the closet and get yourself a good, working Mac.

Sorry if you don't like this post.

Megan0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
The fact that "the seller" (who sold the MBP to you) doesn't know what the firmware password IS, indicates to me that you might have bought stolen property.

At 11 years old, Apple isn't going to fix this. Forget about that.

My advice:
You bought damaged goods.
There are ways to remove a firmware password, but any of them is going to cost you money.

Either live with the password as its set
or
Return this for a refund (my guess is the seller won't accept it)
or
Put it into a corner of the closet and get yourself a good, working Mac.

Sorry if you don't like this post.
Probably, But I want to try my last chance, I found someone that he said come and bring your MacBook and I can reprogram your MacBook's EFI chip with my hardware it takes 10 min. I hope it works, otherwise yes, I have to put it in a corner of the closet. 😕

Reactions: Fishrrman

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
"I found someone that he said come and bring your MacBook and I can reprogram your MacBook's EFI chip with my hardware it takes 10 min."

OK, this is a step forward.
If he's successful, hope he doesn't charge too much for his services.
(aside: he should in fact be paid for such services and knowledge, so grant that much!)

Megan0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
OP:
"I found someone that he said come and bring your MacBook and I can reprogram your MacBook's EFI chip with my hardware it takes 10 min."

OK, this is a step forward.
If he's successful, hope he doesn't charge too much for his services.
(aside: he should in fact be paid for such services and knowledge, so grant that much!)
Yes, I will tell you the result. maybe 4 days later.

Megan0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
Update: I ordered a firmware chip online and replace it and it's work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.