Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I agree. 100%. But the notch is actually even more annoying, since I need to use a lot of apps that have menubar icons, and they tend to not show because the notch gets in the way. It doesn't help that Apple keeps adding more menubar items too. It's just really bad design all around.
I recommend giving HiddenBar (US AppStore Link) a try. You can also change which OS functions are present the menu bar in System Settings > Control Center. And if you aren't aware, you can rearrange menu bar icons by clicking and dragging with command held. I use these methods to keep my menu bar pretty minimal, I rarely need to see the Wacom, TourBox, or Creative Cloud icons, for instance.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Otherwise everyone ends up with this stupid ****

mchin_200731_5205_0003.jpg
What is that creation? That would drive me nuts....

Reactions: mac38728

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I do work on my laptop, and the post-transition Macs are better than ever, especially compared to the hot and noisy touchbar-nonsense 2019 MBP that I couldn’t wait to get rid of.

(I have had almost every generation since the PowerBook 5300, the highlights were the PowerBook G3 Wallstreet, PowerBook G4 12” and MacBook Air 11”.)

That said, there is room for improvement, but not of the kind brought up here.

I’d immediately buy a thin and light MacBook in the 10-11” range, or an iPad Pro capable of booting macOS (or running it virtualized) when connected to a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I've owned at least one of every iteration of Mac portable since the PowerBook 100. My conclusion is that today's machines are capable. In a word, they do the work you need them to do when you need it done. Perhaps more to the point, I don't waste time screwing around with my MacBook Pro as do my Windows-toting friends.

I guess I'm pragmatic enough to be thankful that something is capable and competent for the tasks I need performed. At the end of the day, 'amazing innovations' don't matter nearly as much to me now as they did in, say, 2002 or so.
Screwing around? I use windows and Mac... and I dont seem to have to screw around on Windows to get my work done...

Ive probably wasted more time on Mac than on Windows... I find Windows a much more productivity friendly device.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
The Dell XPS 13 has an "Edgefinity" display. It's bezels are thinner than the MBP. They managed a camera, without a notch too.

The 12" PowerBook had an edge-to-edge keyboard that I thought was fantastic.

I don't know how much depth it would add, but they could put in a non-chiclet mechanical keyboard.

I think the bigger issue is that the current MBP looks like the 16" Intel MBP, which looks remarkably like the original unibody MBP's from "late 2008" - silver body, black bezels, black keyboard. The only major design differences from 2008 to 2024 (that's 16 years!) are the keyboard base is black now, instead of silver, and they added a notch.

Oh hell please don't start going on about Dells. I've got a cupboard full of dead ones. Work have to send me a new one every 9 months because the previous one drops dead. I'm talking $4k a piece Precision workstation grade 16" units here. They keyboard is so fecking bad I have to use it like this

1713392406193.jpeg

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I'm in the category that likes the macbook design philosophy. It's clean, adult, aesthetic. And does everything I want exceptionally well. I don't want gimmicky features. Like Razer's line of gaming laptops look great. But I've been reading they have reliability issues. Or QC issues. Given the prices of those laptops that's disappointing to read. But Having not owned a Razer gaming laptop IDRK. As I get older having a tower gaming PC for space and aesthetics for my desk setup is getting annoying to me. But I want something that's as robust and reliable, especially at those price points. But not to get too far off point. I think the Macbook Pro current lineup are great for many. What specifically would you like to see that would really change the way you would use or desire a Macbook?

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I agree. 100%. But the notch is actually even more annoying, since I need to use a lot of apps that have menubar icons, and they tend to not show because the notch gets in the way. It doesn't help that Apple keeps adding more menubar items too. It's just really bad design all around.
I feel like I'll never understand this. If you'd rather lose all of that extra space at the top for the sake of fitting in a camera, that's an option in software, too. Your preferences should not steal that extra screen from the rest of us, and our preferences need not affect you one bit.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I feel like I'll never understand this. If you'd rather lose all of that extra space at the top for the sake of fitting in a camera, that's an option in software, too. Your preferences should not steal that extra screen from the rest of us, and our preferences need not affect you one bit.
Most other laptop bezels are thinner than the notch, about the same size as the other bezels on the mbp, and even have faceID style ir cameras. It's not an either or, it's just Apple putting form and asthetics over function.

JMStearnsX2

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2020
Also whoever made the decision to delete the pulsing sleep LED should be arrested and charged with crimes against computers. Probably Cook trying to save a dollar per unit.
Or the ability to see the battery charge level without turning on or opening up the laptop...

Reactions: Timpetus

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Its kind of funny that when the processors in MacBooks Pros get more efficient, Apple makes the bodies significantly thicker. It seems like the M-Series chips should be able to thrive in the 2016-2019 enclosures in ways that the Intel chips at the time couldn’t.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Most other laptop bezels are thinner than the notch, about the same size as the other bezels on the mbp, and even have faceID style ir cameras. It's not an either or, it's just Apple putting form and asthetics over function.
FaceID uses an infrared dot projector, not an infrared sensor. Two different technologies. The dot projector relies on a prism that's too thick to fit in a laptop lid.

The cameras on ultra-thin bezel laptops are routinely regarded as being terrible. Apple faced criticism for low quality 720p webcams in late Intel and early M1 models so they clearly prioritized a larger 1080p image sensor requiring a notch.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
The Dell XPS 13 has an "Edgefinity" display. It's bezels are thinner than the MBP. They managed a camera, without a notch too.

The 12" PowerBook had an edge-to-edge keyboard that I thought was fantastic.

I don't know how much depth it would add, but they could put in a non-chiclet mechanical keyboard.

I think the bigger issue is that the current MBP looks like the 16" Intel MBP, which looks remarkably like the original unibody MBP's from "late 2008" - silver body, black bezels, black keyboard. The only major design differences from 2008 to 2024 (that's 16 years!) are the keyboard base is black now, instead of silver, and they added a notch.

Dell product quality overall has gone downhill to the point where some Acer models get better reviews and last longer, not to mention how they singlehandedly killed Alienware's reputation for build quality and reliability after acquiring the company.

Here's the thing: if a specific design works, why change it? Changing designs just for the sake of change leads to stupid decisions like the Asus laptop linked to in this very thread, or the Lenovo laptop with a crappy touchscreen "keyboard" with absolutely no feedback for users.

Zaydax333

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
Its kind of funny that when the processors in MacBooks Pros get more efficient, Apple makes the bodies significantly thicker. It seems like the M-Series chips should be able to thrive in the 2016-2019 enclosures in ways that the Intel chips at the time couldn’t.
Well. They got A LOT of backlash for it and sales suffered so they changed back. I love my my 14 inch macbook pro. I once did a 2 hour zoom meeting on it and it didn't get that warm or loud. Beautiful.

Reactions: GustavFH

Zaydax333

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
FaceID uses an infrared dot projector, not an infrared sensor. Two different technologies. The dot projector relies on a prism that's too thick to fit in a laptop lid.

The cameras on ultra-thin bezel laptops are routinely regarded as being terrible. Apple faced criticism for low quality 720p webcams in late Intel and early M1 models so they clearly prioritized a larger 1080p image sensor requiring a notch.
Is it really that thick though? I mean it fits in the frickin phone and isn't the entire depth of the phone. Make the lid a smidge thicker and stick it in there.

Zaydax333

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
Honestly overall I agree but there is a reason for it. I was surprised they changed the macbook air's shape. The Macbook Pro I get, it SHOULD be an exercise in function over form. It's supposed to be a tool that helps you get work done, not a piece of jewelry.

They air? I figured they would go with a more exciting design but it's literally just a thinner pro.
Look at the iMac, that's a fresh design.

Realistically the MBP needs improvements in these areas:
Adding FaceID to macs
even better webcam
better keyboard
Vapor Chamber cooling for the Max chips?
Memory and Storage pricing
Light up logo on the lid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.