Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDiehr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2014 running currently High Sierra. Whenever I close the macbook it seems like it doesn't go to sleep. Instead it will randomly open the browser and play youtube videos with the sound turned on or open a bunch of different message windows on facebook in case thats the page i left it on. Sometimes it also opens applications or creates new calendar entries without content. Sometimes it does not do anything but still doesn't go to sleep and when I open the laptop again the screen was turned on the whole time and the laptop would be too hot to touch. Sometimes I try to close the laptop a couple of times and it appears that it has gone to sleep as there are no fans spinning or light leaking from the lid but after some time the fans would turn on on its own the laptop starts to get hot again and starts acting on its own.

Does anyone have similar issues with a macbook? How do I resolve this?

I tried to solve this before as this happened one out of a hundred times and i was supposed to reset some things while holding down different keys when I restart the laptop but this didn't solve the problem and now the Macbook isn't going to sleep at all anymore.
This also happened when I was running OSX Sierra and updating to High Sierra didn't change anything.

Could it be that a sensor or so is broken?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Could be the lid sensor not sensing the screen is closed. Assuming it isn't meeting the criteria for clamshell mode (external screen, keyboard and power)?

SDiehr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Could be the lid sensor not sensing the screen is closed. Assuming it isn't meeting the criteria for clamshell mode (external screen, keyboard and power)?

Well I only have my power cable connected no keyboard mouse or screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.