Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech-Zero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2020
Planning to buy a MAC/PC for editing.

What's the advantage of buying an older Macbook Pro i7 of 2013 model with 16gb DDR 3 ram /SSD drive compared to buying a new Windows PC of same configuration but with multiple cores and DDR 4 ram/SSD drive at the same price? Apart from Final cut Pro.

Geekbench score of old Mac is much less compared to new Windows at same cost. Does that mean anything in practical use?

Reactions: SophiaTech

Queen6

macrumors G4
Only Final Cut Pro, unless you really want a Mac, 2013 MBP is getting on and if it fails you'll be on your own, new PC you'll be covered for a least the first 12 months.

Realistically the PC will be a good deal faster if you need it, and will be covered by a warranty. The Mac offers the Apple experience with no guaranties. unless your deeply interwoven with macOS the PC makes for the best option.

Q-6

Reactions: SophiaTech

SophiaTech

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2020
Why would you consider spending money on an old machine when you need to use to for a least 2-3 years. At least, If today you buy a Windows laptop with the latest processor, it will smoothly run all your programs for a long period of time. Plus, as Queen6 said, you'll get the cover in case something doesn't work. This adds more protection to your money.

Reactions: Queen6

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have a 2014 MacBook Pro 15 and a 2008 Dell Studio XPS and was trying to decide on the machine for my daily driver. I went back and forth and settled on the 2008 Dell Studio XPS. The MacBook Pro has more compute power but the desktop has more RAM and much better cooling. You're talking about a new PC so you're going to get better compute and you won't have the thermal issues that laptops have running heavy workloads.

I have multiple three MacBook Pros for work so if one fails, I have two backups. That's one way to manage with old hardware - redundancy. If you don't want to bother with a backup system, then new hardware is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.