Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
I tripped over a power cord while I was drinking water.

My laptop bag with my MacBook Pro 2017.

the laptop bag got wet but the bag claims to be water resistant will I be ok ?

I took everything out and I don’t see signs of it wet.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
I have the Apple care plus but the cost to use it is expensive.
My daughter dropped a small water bottle on my MBP 16 after only having it for 2 weeks, the laptop shutdown instantly and was dead! Apple replaced it with a brand new one.

If anything bad happened it would've been dead by now. Relax, no water reached your MacBook Pro.

I mentioned my story just to be super careful because one mistake and our investment is gone. These things are not cheap. Now I place all liquids very far from the MacBook

Reactions: Alexrat1996

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Why would you use it? By your own admission, the MBP was not wet, the backpack did its job and kept your laptop dry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It did its things for the water resistance I’m luckily I didn’t use a cheap bag.
[automerge]1577717696[/automerge]
And it's a good point to mention that maybe you should look into some form of accidental damage insurance.
I have appke care plus I don’t see any damage so far
[automerge]1577717961[/automerge]
My daughter dropped a small water bottle on my MBP 16 after only having it for 2 weeks, the laptop shutdown instantly and was dead! Apple replaced it with a brand new one.

If anything bad happened it would've been dead by now. Relax, no water reached your MacBook Pro.

I mentioned my story just to be super careful because one mistake and our investment is gone. These things are not cheap. Now I place all liquids very far from the MacBook
That’s good to know my warrenty ends In 2021

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Applecare plus includes accidental damage.

It does. But with a load of exclusions such as "water damage"*.

Given that you'll also probably need a theft peril covered, may as well make sure it's an all risks policy. Then Applecare -- an insurance policy targeted at hardware issues -- can cover faults, the other policy can handle the rest.

* I couldn't really make out what this excluded, so have to assume it means any kind of liquid damage, such as spilling a drink over the keyboard and frying the thing. I know this because I was looking at an accidental damage policy to cover my shiny $5k+ MBP. Also the OP was concerned about water ingress, which may not be covered by Applecare.

Reactions: maflynn

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
There is an exclusion for “excessive or catastrophic damage to Covered Equipment caused by liquid contact (e.g., products that have been partially or wholly submerged in liquid).” I don’t think this is meant to exclude all liquid damage, but rather things like dropping it in a pool or totally destroying it by spilling a large amount of liquid inside. But it is a bit vague, probably so Apple can use their discretion for individual cases.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
There is an exclusion for “excessive or catastrophic damage to Covered Equipment caused by liquid contact (e.g., products that have been partially or wholly submerged in liquid).” I don’t think this is meant to exclude all liquid damage, but rather things like dropping it in a pool or totally destroying it by spilling a large amount of liquid inside. But it is a bit vague, probably so Apple can use their discretion for individual cases.
That’s true but for very little water it should be covered.

DubCity

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2019
This thread shouldn’t even exist. It’s a thread about a MacBook that never even saw a drop of water touch it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.