Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JEYCDEE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Hi guys. I have MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013 with Intel Iris Pro 5200. When playing games, my GPU PECI and CPU PECI rises up to 100 C, however CPU Cores have pretty decent temperatures, around 72 - 74 C. The strange thing, temperatures does not rise more then 100 C. Now the question is, which sensor should I believe, is 100 C normal temperature and how could it be, that cores have about 25 C less heat?

Here is screenshot: https://ibb.co/fkGyka

Reactions: f54da

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The strange thing, temperatures does not rise more then 100 C.

Nothing strange about this — as 105 C is the maximal safe operating temperature for that CPU, it will start throttling/taking breaks so that it doesn't surpass it. Thats why one often observes this "magical" temperature.

Now the question is, which sensor should I believe, is 100 C normal temperature and how could it be, that cores have about 25 C less heat?

As 100C is safe, its pretty much a normal temperature under load. I can easily imagine that in your case most of the heat is generated by the GPU, so thats why the package temperature is higher than what is reported by the individual cores.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi guys. I have MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013 with Intel Iris Pro 5200. When playing games, my GPU PECI and CPU PECI rises up to 100 C, however CPU Cores have pretty decent temperatures, around 72 - 74 C. The strange thing, temperatures does not rise more then 100 C. Now the question is, which sensor should I believe, is 100 C normal temperature and how could it be, that cores have about 25 C less heat?

Here is screenshot: https://ibb.co/fkGyka

Because the GPU is a separate part of the chip and when gaming that will be working full tilt but the cpu will not be.

JEYCDEE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Thank you for replies, friends. I think I got it. But, do you know any software for Mac, that can under clock the GPU?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thank you for replies, friends. I think I got it. But, do you know any software for Mac, that can under clock the GPU?

It's not needed the OS will downlclock it to keep it within thermal limits if needed. If you want it to be a bit quieter and cooler when gaming then lower the settings on the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.