Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antron81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Hi there,

I have been scouring the net for a solution to my issue, and none of the responses have worked so I hoped I might be able to get some new advice.

I opened the lid of my A1398 (2012 Macbook Pro 15" Retina, 256gb SSD) this morning and the trackpad and keyboard had stopped working. I have tried the following to get it working again:

- SMC Reset using Option-Control-Shift
- NVRAM Reset using Command-Option-P-R
- Reinstalling El Capitan 10.11.3 over the old install
- Using Disk Utility to wipe the Mac HDD and then install a fresh El Capitan 10.11.3
- Disabling the Internal keyboard and then re-enabling it.

I have attached a video which shows a strange flickering in the Keyboard System Preferences,. Not included in the video is when you go to change the modifiers, and you drop the menu down while the F-Key options that is flashing is displayed, you can get the Keyboard/Trackpad to show up.

I know other people have had these issues in El Capitan but it's very frustrating. Any ideas?

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I had this happening to me twice since installing 10.11.3. Exact same machine as yours. I didn't check System Prefs when it happened so I don't know if that flickering is present on mine.

First time it happened, keyboard stopped working but the trackpad kept on working fine. I waited some seconds and the keyboard suddenly worked again. Second time was some minutes ago. Both the keyboard and trackpad stopped working and I had to force a reboot by keeping the power button pressed.

antron81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
I had this happening to me twice since installing 10.11.3. Exact same machine as yours. I didn't check System Prefs when it happened so I don't know if that flickering is present on mine.

First time it happened, keyboard stopped working but the trackpad kept on working fine. I waited some seconds and the keyboard suddenly worked again. Second time was some minutes ago. Both the keyboard and trackpad stopped working and I had to force a reboot by keeping the power button pressed.

Only problem for me is that it wasn't during install. Also, forcing shutdown with the power button does nothing. Very frustrating.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
You read it wrong. I had this happening twice since installing (updating). Not during install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.