Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
Hello, I have late 2010 macbook pro, 2.4ghz 13' aluminum unibody. I want to upgrade my ram to 8Gb, but one slot is not working. Will single 8GB ram will work on one slot only? also, I hae cheked 4GB ram 1600mhz and didnot work, so should I use exactly 1066mhz pc3 8500 ? which is oficially recomended?
so my main question is, will single 8gb ram work on on it? thanks

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
so my main question is, will single 8gb ram work on on it? thanks

The 2010 13" MBP can work with a total of 16GB of RAM(Apple only officially supports 8GB), but they can be extremely picky about the RAM. 1 x 8GB 1066MHz should work if you're on the correct firmware.

Revo Runner

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2016
yes one stick will work but like T5 said your MBP will support 16gigs and MB's can be picky, buy the PNY 16gig set sold at BB for 55$, this is what I'm using and its dual channel as well, make sure you set it well.

southwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
The 2010 13" MBP can work with a total of 16GB of RAM(Apple only officially supports 8GB), but they can be extremely picky about the RAM. 1 x 8GB 1066MHz should work if you're on the correct firmware.
What do you mean on firmware? Currently I have no os on my hdd, becouse I dont have enough ram to install el capitan. After upgrade ram, can I clean install el capitan from flash drive?
[doublepost=1468297733][/doublepost]
yes one stick will work but like T5 said your MBP will support 16gigs and MB's can be picky, buy the PNY 16gig set sold at BB for 55$, this is what I'm using and its dual channel as well, make sure you set it well.
Thanks for your reply, reason why I want just one 8gb ram, is that one slot on my macbook pro is not working, so I can just use single slot

Revo Runner

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2016
doublepost said:
Thanks for your reply, reason why I want just one 8gb ram, is that one slot on my macbook pro is not working, so I can just use single slot

it may have just not been seated good enough, it is rare for a ram slot to go bad, it's usually the ram stick that goes bad, it isn't something on a motherboard that goes bad, I believe you need to shove it in better with a little authority.

southwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
Can I add 8GB rqm and then clean install el capitan?
[doublepost=1468309980][/doublepost]
it may have just not been seated good enough, it is rare for a ram slot to go bad, it's usually the ram stick that goes bad, it isn't something on a motherboard that goes bad, I believe you need to shove it in better with a little authority.

I have tried four different ram, which works on one slot, does not work on second slot, so I think ram slot is bad

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Can I add 8GB rqm and then clean install el capitan?

As long as that Mac has had 10.7.5 or later installed on it previously, then yes. If it hasn't, you'll need to find a way to install 4GB of RAM, install 10.7.5 or later and then upgrade to 8GB.

southwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
As long as that Mac has had 10.7.5 or later installed on it previously, then yes. If it hasn't, you'll need to find a way to install 4GB of RAM, install 10.7.5 or later and then upgrade to 8GB.

ok, thanks a lot

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion:

If you know that one slot is bad, put RAM into the GOOD slot.

Then, put ANY OS YOU CAN ONTO IT, just to get it working.

Then, move forward from there...

southwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
My suggestion:

If you know that one slot is bad, put RAM into the GOOD slot.

Then, put ANY OS YOU CAN ONTO IT, just to get it working.

Then, move forward from there...
Currently I have ubuntu live usb runing on my mac, will it help?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Currently I have ubuntu live usb runing on my mac, will it help?"

The problem with that is that it really doesn't help you "move towards a Mac solution"...

southwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
OP wrote:
"Currently I have ubuntu live usb runing on my mac, will it help?"

The problem with that is that it really doesn't help you "move towards a Mac solution"...
I have another hdd from macbook pro on wich is already installed el capitan and is running well on another macbook pro, will it help if I will install it on my macbook?

Revo Runner

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2016
you can't swap hhd's from computer to computer, it won't even boot.
[doublepost=1468376378][/doublepost]but you can use it as an external hhd but if you have encryption on you probably won't be able to read anything on it.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I have another hdd from macbook pro on wich is already installed el capitan and is running well on another macbook pro, will it help if I will install it on my macbook?

The firmware that these 2010 13" MBPs shipped with only supported 2 x 4GB of RAM total. In order for your computer to function with 1 or 2 x 8GB modules, the EFI(firmware) needs to be updated. Installing OS X 10.7.5 or newer will update the firmware while installing.

In order to use that Mac with an 8GB RAM module, it has to have had OS X 10.7.5 or newer installed at some point. Booting from Linux distribution or from the HDD out of another Mac will not update the EFI.
[doublepost=1468384423][/doublepost]
you can't swap hhd's from computer to computer, it won't even boot.

Actually, in many cases you can. Just so long as the OS on the drive you're installing is newer than the OS that was originally installed.

southwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
The firmware that these 2010 13" MBPs shipped with only supported 2 x 4GB of RAM total. In order for your computer to function with 1 or 2 x 8GB modules, the EFI(firmware) needs to be updated. Installing OS X 10.7.5 or newer will update the firmware while installing.

In order to use that Mac with an 8GB RAM module, it has to have had OS X 10.7.5 or newer installed at some point. Booting from Linux distribution or from the HDD out of another Mac will not update the EFI.
[doublepost=1468384423][/doublepost]

Actually, in many cases you can. Just so long as the OS on the drive you're installing is newer than the OS that was originally installed.
But if os x lion or newer was already installed on this laptop later but currently was swaped hdd with no os on it, in thus case, can i clean install el capitan?
[doublepost=1468385657][/doublepost]And also, ho can I chek efi version from ubuntu?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
But if os x lion or newer was already installed on this laptop later but currently was swaped hdd with no os on it, in thus case, can i clean install el capitan?

As long as the computer has had OS X 10.7.5 or newer installed on it at some point, then you're fine.

And also, ho can I chek efi version from ubuntu?

If you can I'm not sure how.

southwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
I have jus one 1GB ram that is working on my macbook, os x lion or later can not run on 1gb ram, I can just boot ubuntu or another linux distro. Anything can I do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.