Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ralphavm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Hello!

I've had this macbook for a while now and it has been waking this weird noise for about 6 months. I was wondering if anyone knows what is causing this issue and what would be some solutions. Sometimes, the computer will slow down when the noise occurs.

Specs:
Macbook 13" Late 2011
i5 2.4ghz
4GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 (1 stick, other slot doesnt work)
Intel Graphics 3000 384 MB

Any insights?

Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd reckon the hard drive as well.
Replace it with an SSD.
Easy to do (15-minute job).
Go to ifixit.com to see the process.
Use THE RIGHT TOOLS (Phillips #00 driver and TORX T-6 driver).
250gb or 500gb SSD should be "enough".
Get an external USB3 enclosure (or "adapter/dongle"). Use this to get what data you can from the old drive before it fails completely.

I would advise you to get this done ASAP -- or the internal drive may fail totally.
If you don't have a backup, better get one FAST.

Reactions: No. 44

ralphavm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Is it possible to replace the harddrive with another regular harddrive rather than an SSD? If the only option is to get an SSD, I might as well get a PC netbook. I do the bulk of my work on a PC desktop. The laptop is normally for internet, word processing, and remote work via TeamViewer.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Is it possible to replace the harddrive with another regular harddrive rather than an SSD? If the only option is to get an SSD, I might as well get a PC netbook. I do the bulk of my work on a PC desktop. The laptop is normally for internet, word processing, and remote work via TeamViewer.

Of course you can replace with a standard hard drive, but you'll get a big speed boost going to an SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.