Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RKolton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2019
I have a late 2013 Macbook Pro and starting a couple weeks ago while not doing any intensive work just browsing basic websites, my computer froze up and then shut down.

It gets really hot above the keyboard, freezes, and then shuts down.

Here are my specs:
Late 2013
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Dual GFX
Iris Pro & NVidia 750M
16gb RAM
1TB SSD
OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

Here are the troubleshooting techniques I have tried:
- I reset PRAM letting it chime 3 times
- I uninstalled and reinstalled my NVidia Web Driver
- I reinstalled the OS
- After I got a message that made it seem like it might be malware, I tried scanning with Malwarebytes and ClamXAV both produced no malware found
- It seems like this doesn't happen when plugged into power but system report shows battery as Normal and has 823 cycle count
- I unscrewed the bottom panel and blew out dust that had collected.
- The process kernel_task is consistently using over 1gb of RAM at all times and I saw that mds process was using over 100% of CPU so I tried this terminal command [https://birchtree.me/blog/mds-alfred-fix/] and when I ran it, mds dropped off and the computer heat went away. I thought it was solved but then after about 45min of light browsing for test purposes, it froze and shut down again.

As you can see I have tried so many things. Please let me know if you have any other solutions. I am thinking of just doing a full wipe of the computer and starting over (It's my secondary computer so not a lot of files on it) but if that won't make a difference I'd prefer to avoid that so I don't have to reinstall all my apps.

I appreciate any help I can get. I consider myself pretty computer savvy, I upgrade hardware in my main desktop computer on my own and have always been able to troubleshoot. I will admit this is the first macbook pro I have owned so there may be some measures I am not aware of. Anyway, again I greatly appreciate any help or advice I can get.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.