Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aimfire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Sunnyvale, CA
Ok, so I just got a 17" Macbook Pro last week and have a question about the lid...

When the lid (screen) is closed, I've noticed that in the front, it dosn't seem to sit flush - there is about a 2mm gap of space inbetween. This is in the front only where it closes - the rest of the lid sits flush.

Is this normal?
thanks!

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
yes, it's normal. further, i don't know if it's normal, but it's common for the left side of the lid to be slightly more open than the right. i think it's time for the macbook pro to get a magnetic latch like the macbook.

aimfire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Sunnyvale, CA
Wow, ok thanks for the speedy reply! :)

Yeah, exactly - I also have the black Macbook (w/ magnetic latch) and was comparing the MBP to that. I agree, would be nice to have the magnet on the MBP's as well.

panthersweat

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
I was just going to post about this.
Mine isn't flush either and judging by all the others with the same story, it's "normal'.

Thanks for clearing this up for me too.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Mine is not "flush" and has a gap, however, it seems the gap is equal all the way around the screen. It seems pretty uniform to me.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
yes, it's normal. further, i don't know if it's normal, but it's common for the left side of the lid to be slightly more open than the right. i think it's time for the macbook pro to get a magnetic latch like the macbook.

Mine must by abnormal because it seems like the right is just SLIGHTLY more open than the left. It's DEFECTIVE! :p

It could actually be my imagination, it's VERY subtle.

shawnwich

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Houston, TX
Ok, so I just got a 17" Macbook Pro last week and have a question about the lid...

When the lid (screen) is closed, I've noticed that in the front, it dosn't seem to sit flush - there is about a 2mm gap of space inbetween. This is in the front only where it closes - the rest of the lid sits flush.

Is this normal?
thanks!

DUDE.

A DAY AFTER i got my mac two months ago, i went to the apple store to ask that very question and the emo kid pointed at the mbp's on display and all of them have the same issue. Mine does it. Yours does it. All MBP's do it.

Its weird isn't it?

o-0.

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
All MBPs I have ever seen/worked on (quite a few), have this "issue". Now, after careful observation, i think this was designed intentionally so the track-pad button (which is a bit elevated) does not scratch the screen. This is not so on the MBs because the lid is a bit thicker, which enabled Apple to rest the screen a bit deeper into the lid.

Of course, Correlation does not imply causation, and my hypothesis could be complete BS.

Eallan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
DUDE.

A DAY AFTER i got my mac two months ago, i went to the apple store to ask that very question and the emo kid pointed at the mbp's on display and all of them have the same issue. Mine does it. Yours does it. All MBP's do it.

Its weird isn't it?

o-0.

It's not weird it's bad design. There is no reason it shouldn't sit flush. My right side is like 2mm off while the left is flush. It's bad manufacturing.

russell.h

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
All MBPs I have ever seen/worked on (quite a few), have this "issue". Now, after careful observation, i think this was designed intentionally so the track-pad button (which is a bit elevated) does not scratch the screen. This is not so on the MBs because the lid is a bit thicker, which enabled Apple to rest the screen a bit deeper into the lid.

Of course, Correlation does not imply causation, and my hypothesis could be complete BS.
That would mean that putting any pressure on the lid while it is closed (like it you put it in a backpack or other bag) would scratch the screen, so I doubt it.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
That would mean that putting any pressure on the lid while it is closed (like it you put it in a backpack or other bag) would scratch the screen, so I doubt it.
Actually that happens. Have a Powerbook or MBP long enough and you will see the shape of the keys slightly imprinted on the screen (looks like a bunch of connected boxes).

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
It's been a problem since they first introduced the Aluminium case and it's undoubtedly due to flawed design and manufacturing processes.

Check Apple's site for pics of the MacBook Pro closed - none of the ones there have warped lids.

Been discussed before, but a magnetic system all the way round the screen bezel, similar to the MacBook, would likely solve the problem

Eallan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Been discussed before, but a magnetic system all the way round the screen bezel, similar to the MacBook, would likely solve the problem

Magnets would work as would a latch that latched at both corners instead of the middle.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
No, it's not normal.

It's just seen as normal because it is so widespread.

My 17" PowerBook is perfectly flush all around.

Apple ain't what they used to be.

Eallan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Agreed but not sure how practical that is with the optical drive where it is currently.

One latch button, two latch "prongs" ;)

My hp has it.

They could figure it out, magnets would be easier.

Or, as a novel idea, quality manufacturing!

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
No, it's not normal.

It's just seen as normal because it is so widespread.

My 17" PowerBook is perfectly flush all around.

Apple ain't what they used to be.

Ditto. I have a 15" PowerBook that was perfect before I dropped it!

panthersweat

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
I retract my statement, the lid is definitely defective on mine. I compared it to a friends (same model) which isn't flush either, but not so bad that you're able to rock the lid side by side.

Here are some pictures of the gap;

mbpll.jpg

mbplc.jpg

mbplr.jpg

What do you guys think? It's only 2 days old, should it be sent back?

aimfire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Sunnyvale, CA
Yeah, I'm the OP... that looks exactly like mine... I guess it's "normal".

Thanks for posting the pics, made for great reference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.