Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Hi,

I’m currently looking to buy a new mac and hesitating between a couple options. I live in Europe and my budget is max. 1500€.
I want to keep this laptop for as long as possible, and I also usually have a lot of apps and tabs open, thats why Id prefer going for 16go ram.

I found a couple options in my price range:
- Macbook pro 14’’ / m1 pro / 8 core cpu / 14 core gpu (10 core cpu / 16 core gpu if I find a good deal) / 16go ram and 512go storage —> asgoodasnew.com / backmarket.com
- Macbook air 15’’ / m2 / 16go ram and 256go storage —> refurbished from apple
- Macbook air 13’’ / m3 / 16go ram —> new from apple

Did I miss any good options?
What would be the best laptop for me?

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Anyone got advice? Do the newer chips balance out something like the better screen of the macbook pro?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
you aren't giving us enough to work on to give you advice.. over than you need 16 gb ram for your tabs. does that mean all you do is browsing and lighter stuff? Then I would consider the newer machines. Is portability important to you? if so, the another good reason for the Air. Do you like large or small screens? No one can really answer for you knowing so little.

But if it was me, and I do some photography and video stuff for fun with an external monitor, I would go for the M3. If it was for travel. the M2.

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
you aren't giving us enough to work on to give you advice.. over than you need 16 gb ram for your tabs. does that mean all you do is browsing and lighter stuff? Then I would consider the newer machines. Is portability important to you? if so, the another good reason for the Air. Do you like large or small screens? No one can really answer for you knowing so little.

But if it was me, and I do some photography and video stuff for fun with an external monitor, I would go for the M3. If it was for travel. the M2.
The work I intend to do is on the lighter side (microsoft 365 and other productivity apps, maybe some light video editing), but I want a laptop that is somewhat future-proof and doesnt struggle handling a lot of apps at once.
I checked the size and weight of the machines and everything except the 16’’ pro model works for me. I do like having the bigger screen, so I’m not sure about the 13’’ air model.

I mainly want to know if there is an upgrade between the generations that is worth it and not detailed on apple’s compare mac tab, if not I think Ill go for the macbook pro m1 pro.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
The work I intend to do is on the lighter side (microsoft 365 and other productivity apps, maybe some light video editing), but I want a laptop that is somewhat future-proof and doesnt struggle handling a lot of apps at once.
I checked the size and weight of the machines and everything except the 16’’ pro model works for me. I do like having the bigger screen, so I’m not sure about the 13’’ air model.

I mainly want to know if there is an upgrade between the generations that is worth it and not detailed on apple’s compare mac tab, if not I think Ill go for the macbook pro m1 pro.

can you go see them in a store? You mention future proofing…and then choose the machine that will be obsoleted the first by several years. Not sure I’d go that route. The pro gives you more cores but that’s only helpful with multi tasking apps, the single core speed of any m3 is notably faster than any m1.

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
can you go see them in a store? You mention future proofing…and then choose the machine that will be obsoleted the first by several years. Not sure I’d go that route. The pro gives you more cores but that’s only helpful with multi tasking apps, the single core speed of any m3 is notably faster than any m1.
I already did, the thought was that on paper the m1 pro chip outperforms the m3.
You are saying there is an advantange to faster single cores in comparaison to a bit slower, but more cores?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I already did, the thought was that on paper the m1 pro chip outperforms the m3.
You are saying there is an advantange to faster single cores in comparaison to a bit slower, but more cores?

Yep. Not all apps take advantage of multi cores, and so their speed is inherently set by the single core speed. And even if they do take advantage of multi cores, some only use a few cores at a time, so again, single core speed helps. Parallel processing isn't a given. I say this on a MBP 15 M3 Max running iStats on the menu bar which gives me visual feedback on all my cores and activity. Rarely do I see all of them running at the same time. Even when using my MBA I don't see all cores being used at once. And I remind you, even though you say you like to 'run' several programs at once, unless they are all actively doing some computing (like rendering, or playing movies or music) than most of the time actually only the active program you are using is taking up significant CPU time. But the M3 chip feels 'snappier' than the M1 because of the single core speed increase and the GUI taking advantage of that. But really, snappier is relative, the M1 is plenty fast for most users. Heck for most people the chip is idling most of the time. If M1pro is the way you want to go, you wont regret it. But nor is the m3.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
The M1 Pro. I have an M1 Pro 14" and my daughter has an M2 13" MBA. The screen, audio, performance and ability to sustain workloads is much much better on the M1 plus it has more holes to plug things into which is really damn useful.

M1 Pro is quite frankly the best laptop I've ever used. Over 2 years in now and going strong.

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Yep. Not all apps take advantage of multi cores, and so their speed is inherently set by the single core speed. And even if they do take advantage of multi cores, some only use a few cores at a time, so again, single core speed helps. Parallel processing isn't a given. I say this on a MBP 15 M3 Max running iStats on the menu bar which gives me visual feedback on all my cores and activity. Rarely do I see all of them running at the same time. Even when using my MBA I don't see all cores being used at once. And I remind you, even though you say you like to 'run' several programs at once, unless they are all actively doing some computing (like rendering, or playing movies or music) than most of the time actually only the active program you are using is taking up significant CPU time. But the M3 chip feels 'snappier' than the M1 because of the single core speed increase and the GUI taking advantage of that. But really, snappier is relative, the M1 is plenty fast for most users. Heck for most people the chip is idling most of the time. If M1pro is the way you want to go, you wont regret it. But nor is the m3.
Thanks, my understanding of how the chips worked wasnt quite right. How important is the 16g of ram upgrade? If Im buying a laptop with the m3 chip, it would be a 13’’ or a 15’’ air, but 16g of ram with 15’’ inch is out of my budget, and I would prefer the larger screen.

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
The M1 Pro. I have an M1 Pro 14" and my daughter has an M2 13" MBA. The screen, audio, performance and ability to sustain workloads is much much better on the M1 plus it has more holes to plug things into which is really damn useful.

M1 Pro is quite frankly the best laptop I've ever used. Over 2 years in now and going strong.
I was also wondering about the battery, Apple’s website claims up to 17h, is that true with a normal workload?

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
I was also wondering about the battery, Apple’s website claims up to 17h, is that true with a normal workload?

Depends what you do. I can watch a 2h film and the battery goes down about 10%. If I am hammering the crap out of it with heavy workloads all day (usually R + Python modelling stuff), it'll survive about 8-10 hours. And that's on a 2 year old battery with 87% battery health.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Thanks, my understanding of how the chips worked wasnt quite right. How important is the 16g of ram upgrade? If Im buying a laptop with the m3 chip, it would be a 13’’ or a 15’’ air, but 16g of ram with 15’’ inch is out of my budget, and I would prefer the larger screen.

Well, you do like to hit the hot topics lol. how much Ram is as bad as discussing politics. maybe worse. I did run a M1 MBA with only 8 gb ram, and really it was fine, but have to admit if there is one upgrade that is really a good idea, its ram. especially since you said you like to keep open a lot of browser tabs. ESPECIALLY if you use Chrome, a known memory hog. for you, I would hesitate to only get 8, would stick to 16. You will be using this machine for years, I might look at the budget again.

normal is again one of those subjective terms, depending on screen brightness (bright takes more energy), programs (heavy graphics, games, takes more energy), and multi tasking (going to assume I dont have to explain that one). So I am sure for light tasks with the screen at low to mid brightness you will get 17 hours, for me, I get at least 8 and usually more doing fairly intense things. It is much better than anything I have used.

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Depends what you do. I can watch a 2h film and the battery goes down about 10%. If I am hammering the crap out of it with heavy workloads all day (usually R + Python modelling stuff), it'll survive about 8-10 hours. And that's on a 2 year old battery with 87% battery health.
Thanks, is the superior screen quality really noticeable when you are working?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

now you are really getting into subjective territory. are you under 30? you might find it so. are you over 50? maybe not. I don't mean that as agist as it sounds but I am old as dirt and I am still impressed I dont have to lug around a CRT. Google it. Which is my way of saying some people, and it does seem to me people raised on higher quality screens tend to get really picky, whereas those of us that just enjoy working on them, don't pay as close attention. To some of us, its like diamonds, sure when you put them side to side you can tell an expensive diamond from a less expensive one in terms of sparkle and clarity, but day to day wearing it? nope.

I own both a MBA 15 and a MBP 16 (m3 max) and honestly never think twice about the differences in screen. I sit down and work. Plus I might add, it becomes a moot point if you connect an external monitor to it, which I seem to recall you said you would be doing.

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Well, you do like to hit the hot topics lol. how much Ram is as bad as discussing politics. maybe worse. I did run a M1 MBA with only 8 gb ram, and really it was fine, but have to admit if there is one upgrade that is really a good idea, its ram. especially since you said you like to keep open a lot of browser tabs. ESPECIALLY if you use Chrome, a known memory hog. for you, I would hesitate to only get 8, would stick to 16. You will be using this machine for years, I might look at the budget again.

normal is again one of those subjective terms, depending on screen brightness (bright takes more energy), programs (heavy graphics, games, takes more energy), and multi tasking (going to assume I dont have to explain that one). So I am sure for light tasks with the screen at low to mid brightness you will get 17 hours, for me, I get at least 8 and usually more doing fairly intense things. It is much better than anything I have used.
Yeah, Apple does like to see the constumer climb the price ladder… At the start my goal was to spend 1200€… I do think 16g of ram is a good idea.
As long as the laptop can take a full day of work without being charged I dont care too much about the battery, so I think Ill be fine either way.

Is there an important difference between the macbook air 15’’ m2 and the 15’’ m3? The m2 model with 16g would cost me 1439€ and the m3 one 1679€. Is the performance upgrade worth it?

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023

Yes. There are three really big improvements on the M1 Pro...

1. Much higher contrast to black due to mini-LED - makes watching dark things somewhat more pleasurable and the notch less in your face.
2. Much higher peak brightness due to mini-LED - if you're working anywhere sunny this is a godsend.
3. The anti glare coating is noticeably better than the MBA meaning less horrible reflections.

Plus you gain ProMotion and the lid is much thicker and more robust.

Reactions: G5isAlive

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Is there an important difference between the macbook air 15’’ m2 and the 15’’ m3? The m2 model with 16g would cost me 1439€ and the m3 one 1679€. Is the performance upgrade worth it?

oh wow, I feel a holy war coming on lol. I dont think many people would suggest there is enough difference to upgrade from an M2 to a M3 if you owned the m2... and lots of you tubers like to talk about the greater value of the M2 on sale versus the M3, but geez, you know, at some point for a machine you might keep five or more years, get the latest is my motto.

I would point out the M3 supports two external monitors (in clamshell mode), the m2 only one, the m3 has built in ray tracing for graphics, the m2 does not, and yep, a slight increase in core performance.

but I will repeat. you really cant go wrong no matter what you chose.

so just how long are you planning on keep it?

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
now you are really getting into subjective territory. are you under 30? you might find it so. are you over 50? maybe not. I don't mean that as agist as it sounds but I am old as dirt and I am still impressed I dont have to lug around a CRT. Google it. Which is my way of saying some people, and it does seem to me people raised on higher quality screens tend to get really picky, whereas those of us that just enjoy working on them, don't pay as close attention. To some of us, its like diamonds, sure when you put them side to side you can tell an expensive diamond from a less expensive one in terms of sparkle and clarity, but day to day wearing it? nope.

I own both a MBA 15 and a MBP 16 (m3 max) and honestly never think twice about the differences in screen. I sit down and work. Plus I might add, it becomes a moot point if you connect an external monitor to it, which I seem to recall you said you would be doing.
Yes. There are three really big improvements on the M1 Pro...

1. Much higher contrast to black due to mini-LED - makes watching dark things somewhat more pleasurable and the notch less in your face.
2. Much higher peak brightness due to mini-LED - if you're working anywhere sunny this is a godsend.
3. The anti glare coating is noticeably better than the MBA meaning less horrible reflections.

Plus you gain ProMotion and the lid is much thicker and more robust.
I played around with exhibit models, but its hard to get a idea of the screen in an environment where the light is optimal, I might go back and take a closer look.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I played around with exhibit models, but its hard to get a idea of the screen in an environment where the light is optimal, I might go back and take a closer look.

Kang is dead on in what he says, there are technical improvements you can point to in the screen of the M1 Pro, especially that out in the sunlight thing. I tend never to sit outside with my laptop though. And I suspect if didn't own both, the on paper advantages of the pro screen would sway me.

But I am going to go back to the fact the M1 Pro right out of the box is 3 years old, and that would be difficult for me. If I was really in the market for a 3 year old machine, I would be looking at the used market for an even larger price break. Not sure if you have bought used before, but it's relatively easy to shop for, the screen works or it doesn't, the battery life is good or its not. its clean or its not. some might say its been broken in for you.

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
oh wow, I feel a holy war coming on lol. I dont think many people would suggest there is enough difference to upgrade from an M2 to a M3 if you owned the m2... and lots of you tubers like to talk about the greater value of the M2 on sale versus the M3, but geez, you know, at some point for a machine you might keep five or more years, get the latest is my motto.

I would point out the M3 supports two external monitors (in clamshell mode), the m2 only one, the m3 has built in ray tracing for graphics, the m2 does not, and yep, a slight increase in core performance.

but I will repeat. you really cant go wrong no matter what you chose.

so just how long are you planning on keep it?
Well my current laptop is a 2015 macbook air, so I hope quite a while… I know that whatever I choose, its gonna be a massive upgrade, I just want to make sure I get the best option.
I have a pc so I dont really need ray-tracing capabilities and if I can only connect a second monitor when the laptop is closed I dont see much use in it for me.

I wasnt expecting the choice to be so complicated when I started looking

Cydoimos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Kang is dead on in what he says, there are technical improvements you can point to in the screen of the M1 Pro, especially that out in the sunlight thing. I tend never to sit outside with my laptop though. And I suspect if didn't own both, the on paper advantages of the pro screen would sway me.

But I am going to go back to the fact the M1 Pro right out of the box is 3 years old, and that would be difficult for me. If I was really in the market for a 3 year old machine, I would be looking at the used market for an even larger price break. Not sure if you have bought used before, but it's relatively easy to shop for, the screen works or it doesn't, the battery life is good or its not. its clean or its not. some might say its been broken in for you.
I thought about it, but I do like having some kind of warranty when buying such an expensive device.
I also checked the price for newer macbook pro’s, but for some reason everything with a m2 pro chip is more expensive than a m3 pro chip laptop, and m3 pro chips are out of my budget.
The 13’’ macbook pro m2 doesnt come with a better screen than the m2 air right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.