Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iganovir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Hi, I'm a new macbook user. I have macbook pro m1 that i just bought 3 weeks ago. Everything is fine, the battery is fine, the performance is super fine till one day I left my mac on sleep mode while having an android phone that connect to my thunderbolt via a connector. Then after I turn on my mac, my touchbar backlight is gone. But I'm still able to use it.
1614135146256.png

I dont exactly know what the cause of this problem. I have contacted apple support then they suggest me to do steps such as hardware test, safe mode, and reinstall OS. But the issue still happens. They also recommended me to bring my mac to service center. So the best approach is I should never let my mac on sleep mode. Because sometimes when I restart my mac after sleep mode, the system freeze and then there's a report of my error -> Error Report Macpro m1. Is there anyone ever having this issue?

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I would say run for the service centre option, if all else has been exhausted with support. Get it inspected and ultimately fixed.

Do post back if you ever get an answer though, scary...

Good luck

iganovir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
I would say run for the service centre option, if all else has been exhausted with support. Get it inspected and ultimately fixed.

Good luck
Yea I'm planning to a service center this week. Hopefully they fix the issue or maybe change with a new device.

Reactions: Psychbum

iganovir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021

Good luck
Well turns out there is a problem with the top case/machine. I wonder why apple Apple Diagnostics didn't found the issue. Probably it's because of the new chip...

Well, I saw in your profile that you're using Macbook Pro m1 too. Do you find any issues?

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Well turns out there is a problem with the top case/machine. I wonder why apple Apple Diagnostics didn't found the issue. Probably it's because of the new chip...

Well, I saw in your profile that you're using Macbook Pro m1 too. Do you find any issues?
So have they set a repair or replaced?

I do not any issues with my Touch Bar.

Also, IMHO the diagnostics is a bit flakey. Doesn't pick everything up and I don't know why that is.

iganovir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
So have they set a repair or replaced?

I do not any issues with my Touch Bar.

Also, IMHO the diagnostics is a bit flakey. Doesn't pick everything up and I don't know why that is.
They said they'll replace it but since there is no apple store in my country, I have to wait like 1 month to get my MacBook back. I have to ship it to Singapore haha.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
can the pram be reset? there has to be a Touch Bar option in system presences?
my concern is I'm on the fence in purchasing either the pro or air soon,
and the well being of your MBPro!

iganovir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
can the pram be reset? there has to be a Touch Bar option in system presences?
my concern is I'm on the fence in purchasing either the pro or air soon,
and the well being of your MBPro!
I have searched about reset PRAM/NVRAM on the M1 processor. It turns out the device with m1 will automatically reset PRAM and NVRAM when the computer is started from the shutdown (i.e., not after a normal reboot). If something is wrong with the memory, it is reset automatically.

Anyway, you should choose M1 Pro, really. The performance is pretty good. This device really saves me, but the sleep mode is sucks. Maybe I'm out of luck, so I got a broken one, haha.

Reactions: MBAir2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.