Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avinash Kumar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Dear All,

Good Day and thanks for taking time to read this post.

I was using my Macbook Pro M1 (running Sonoma 14.3) and doing video editing via Adobe premier pro. This isn't the first time I am doing this and have been editing many videos and had it peak to its top performance.

All of a sudden, the display and touch bar went black and there was no response. The fan was running at its peak speed. I tried force shutting down the mac and the fan stopped running after this. However if I turned it on, the fan started running and there was no response from the macbook, no display turning on, no sound, nothing literally. I tried it many number of times but no progress.

After sometime even the fan stopped running and the mac was looking absolutely dead :(

I left it as it is and after around 10-15 mins, it started turning on automatically. Then after it started working properly and when I ran the diagnostic, it did not throw up any errors.

Please suggest if this could be due to any software issue or CPU/GPU performance issue or could it be any hardware damage that would have caused this temporary death.

Your expertise and advise will be of great great help to me.

Thank You All.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I dont think so it was hot because I use the same applications and load everytime.
I'm not seeing the connection :( If the fan was coming on, the machine was getting hot. Just because you use the same application every time doesn't mean this time the machine got too hot and shut down on its own.

Was the machine against a wall, was the vents blocked, were you using it a hot environment?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Sounds like it was too hot and the fan trying to cool it down. You shouldn’t do anything with it. Just let the fan does its job until your MB cool to the touch and restart.

Reactions: JustAnExpat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.