Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiki108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2022
My MacBook Pro won’t turn on. Went through the easy steps of holding power for 10 seconds, restart the SMC, making sure the cable wasn’t the issues, etc.

So I decided to hook it up to my iMac (also M1) and try to revive it in Configurator 2. On the plus side, it did bring it up with the big DFU screen. Tried to revive and the message I got said:

The System cannot be restored on this device.
Gave up waiting for device to transition from DFU state to DFU state.
[com.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore - 0xFCA (4042)]

I decided to go ahead and try to Restore it instead. Same result, same message. I can’t find much about what to do about that error though.

Has anyone seen this before and know how to fix it? I'm guessing I'll need to take it down to the Apple store, but they are about an hour away, so before I do that I figured I'd post here first.

Edit:
I'm mailing in the MacBook to Apple. I'll update once I know more. From what I'm reading it seems the issue might have been something to do with using a USB Hub. It was already running on Monterey, so I thought the Big Sur 11.2.2 fixed that issue, but that's the only thing I can think of that might have caused an issue.

Last edited:

Tiki108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2022
Make sure you were in the right DFU mode.

It seems I did it right based on that video. I do see the DFU icon and I can right click on it and select to revive, but I'm still getting that error message. My iMac is running on Monterey 12.0.1, but I can't recall what version the MacBook was on though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.