Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agile.tmh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
I'm about to upgrade to a new Macbook. I've tried the MBA M2 and whilst it's great I've found the screen is a bit too small for me. The MBP 14 seems like the right size (I've checked out the 16-inch version and it's a bit too big). I'd like to get some advice from the group on a good configuration that will last me for a good few years.

My use case is...
  • I travel a bit and do presentations (small ones and then some big keynote ones).
  • I work with clients at various sites, plugging into screens for training, demonstrations and facilitating workshops.
  • I spend a lot of time in spreadsheets crunching and analysing data (Office suite and a few others).
  • I use Zoom, and most of the video conferencing platforms (a lot), with a lot of screen sharing and collaboration with clients.
  • Main web browsers are Chrome for a lot of web-based apps - Miro, Mural etc.
  • I do photo editing, but mainly in preparation for presentations.
  • Occasionally fire up a few VMs, Docker etc. but most services are now cloud-based.
  • I don't do any video editing.
At home, I have 2 monitors and a DisplayLink hub, with an M1 Mac Mini for remote work.

I'm planning on buying from Apple, so am seeking ideas for which models and/or upgrades to consider.

Last edited:

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I'm about to upgrade to a new Macbook. I've tried the MBA M2 and whilst it's great I've found the screen is a bit too small for me. The MBP 14 seems like the right size (I've checked out the 16-inch version and it's a bit too big). I'd like to get some advice from the group on a good configuration that will last me for a good few years.

My use case is...
  • I travel a bit and do presentations (small ones and then some big keynote ones).
  • I work with clients at various sites, plugging into screens for training, demonstrations and facilitating workshops.
  • I spend a lot of time in spreadsheets crunching and analysing data (Office suite and a few others).
  • I use Zoom, and most of the video conferencing platforms (a lot), with a lot of screen sharing and collaboration with clients.
  • Occasionally fire up a few VMs, Docker etc. but most services are now cloud-based.
  • I don't do any video editing.
At home, I have 2 monitors and a DisplayLink hub, with an M1 Mac Mini for remote work.

I'm planning on buying from Apple, so am seeking ideas for which models and/or upgrades to consider.

Unless you're running multiple VMs simultaneously, there's really no need to go above the base spec M2 Pro based on the use case you described. You get dual external display support, 16GB unified RAM (again, more than enough unless you're actively running multiple VMs at the same time), and a 512 GB SSD.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm going to buck the trend and say that you'll be better suited with the 32GB MBP. I have a 14" with 16GB and just using Parallels and chrome consumes most of my ram. Chrome is horribly inefficient and having lots of tabs will consumer ram, photo editing and Docker/VMs love ram. Set yourself up for success and get the 32GB

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I agree with @maflynn that upgrading from 16 GB to 32 GB would probably be worthwhile in your case. If you have an extra $200 you’re willing to spend beyond that, the upgrade to 1 TB SSD might also be worthwhile depending on how much photo editing we are talking about. The only other upgrade worth considering would be the $300 to go from the 10 core CPU to the 12 core. You probably won’t see much benefit in office apps (presentations, spreadsheets), but I don’t know if the VMs would benefit. The processor is definitely the last place I would put money, and anything higher than the 12 core Pro is wasting money for your uses.

So IMHO…
Good - 10cpu/16gpu/32 GB/512 GB
Better - 10cpu/16gpu/32 GB/1 TB
Best - 12cpu/19gpu/32 GB/1 TB

jshear

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2013
Nassau Bahamas
I agree if you are running Parallels you will probably need more ram. I have 32 GB of ram and run parallels with Safari open and twitter and telegram messenger. Here is my memory screen shot

Cheers

Jeff

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 9.03.20 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 9.03.20 AM.png
    239 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: agile.tmh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.