Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
RESOLVED !!!

This is weird. Have a Mac Mini M2 Pro and this Macbook Pro M3 + a couple phones, iPads.

EVERYTHING (except the MacBook Pro) is fine.

I AM connected to WiFi and getting a proper 10.0.x.x IP address on the MBPro
Also connected to Ethernet via a USB C adapter also getting a proper IP address (actually I have 3 adapters, all 3 same problem separately of course!)
Same problem with adapters either connected or removed.

I have tried connecting to a public WiFI access point. Same problem, I am connected fine but "no internet"
I have switched ethernet from Mac Mini router port to MB Pro, same problem (Mini is fine, MBPro is not)
I have turned off/on Wifi, removed/readded ethernet adapter from Settings
Rebooted and power cycled umpteen times

Edit: Even tried a different DNS server

The Wifi settings can even see dozens of my neighbors wifi networks so it is working

Yet all I get both through WiFi and/or ethernet adapter(s) is "COULD NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET"

Again, this only affects the MacBook Pro M3 every other device in the house both wifi AND ethernet connected have no issues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Must be something simple I am missing.

Last edited:

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Is there a file called hosts in /etc/hosts that is interfering with DNS lookup?
Have you got any new filtering / VPN / Security software on the Mac
What happens when you use terminal to Ping the IP of the router in the house?

Sounds like a DNS problem or parental controls on the router.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
To see if you are connected to the internet, open your browser and enter

142.251.32.46​

then press return. This is Google's present public IP. If you are connected, this will bring up their home page, and your issue is with DNS. If it doesn't load, you're not connecting.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Well, panic is over. I did a Time Machine restore to yesterday and it’s back working. No idea what caused it as nothing has changed ( that I was aware of). I’m new to Macs, been a Win guy for probably 35+ years so I panicked not even remembering I had Time Machine setup on an external SDXC.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
A side-note:

I have a 1G fiber connection to ATT, and--dissatisfied with the Company-supplied RG--I took that out of the equation with an EdgeRouter that I (software-) modified to conduct the handshake.

Two days ago, my internet connection dropped.

I tried everything in my arsenal (everything at my disposal) to no avail.

I could not achieve a successful EAPol sync <grr>

Actually thought I might be forced to step-back into Homeowner Reality, and accomplish some advanced tasks I had been meaning to, er, accomplish, this Spring ;)

After two days of effort (and just before I was going to call The TT), I noticed that my mini virtualization server's fan wasn't spinning...

...I thought I was so smart to virtualize the PiHole DNS proxy on Proxmox (all my DNS queries are filtered-through this), but what I didn't realize was what consequence such a thing might produce.

Somehow, it had been powered-off.

I powered-it-on, and my fiber connection immediately re-established!

Moral of this Story:

It's sometimes the simplest of things.

Of course, revelations are no real panacea; real-world necessities invariably exist, even after teh interwebs are achieved ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.