Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleUser29912

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2022
I want to upgrade from an intel macbook pro and a lot of people pointed it out that MacBook Pro M3 Pro has 150GB/s memory bandwidth vs 400GB/s memory bandwidth on M3 Max.

Does it make a lot of differences in performance?

I am thinking of keeping this laptop for at least 10 years so I want to max out of the performance stuff. M3 Max is 600$ more than the M3 pro.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I want to upgrade from an intel macbook pro and a lot of people pointed it out that MacBook Pro M3 Pro has 150GB/s memory bandwidth vs 400GB/s memory bandwidth on M3 Max.

I am thinking of keeping this laptop for at least 10 years so I want to max out of the performance stuff. M3 Max is 600$ more than the M3 pro.
If you want ten years then cough up the $600. That's $5/month over that ten years.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
I will say this again:
Do NOT get the M3 Pro chip. It is barely any faster than the M2 Pro (only between 10-15%, probably less, from Apple's graphs). It has lower memory bandwidth, like you said. It has less performance cores, and less cores overall. It is the smallest year-over-year upgrade for any chip they have made this year.
Instead, buy a refurbished M2 Max (if you can use the refurbished store). It is faster than M3 Pro, and will certainly last you 10 years. It will also have higher memory bandwidth, and if you are going to get any upgrades, they will be a lot cheaper on the refurbished store. Or, buy an M2 Pro if you think it will be enough. And of course, you can get the M3 Max which will be amazing. Whatever you do though, do not get M3 Pro.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

All depends on what you're doing with your machine. If you're managing huge databases or large simulation datasets, then the difference in memory bandwidth might very well make a difference. Do you make a living manipulating large Photoshop or Lightroom projects? Then as they say, time is money. Multitasking with Mail, Word, Safari, PDF editors, PowerPoint, Zoom and such? Then the increased memory bandwidth will almost certainly have little to no noticeable impact on overall performance.

If you're a general user, like my last example above, you'll get more bang for the buck by boosting the RAM and/or the storage space for the difference in price than you will by adding extra GPU cores and internal bandwidth.
If you're a scientific or other large dataset user, then you'll want both RAM and bandwidth, so the Max version would make more sense.

Reactions: FK9896

darkelipse04

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2004
Philadelphia
I will say this again:
Do NOT get the M3 Pro chip. It is barely any faster than the M2 Pro (only between 10-15%, probably less, from Apple's graphs). It has lower memory bandwidth, like you said. It has less performance cores, and less cores overall. It is the smallest year-over-year upgrade for any chip they have made this year.
Instead, buy a refurbished M2 Max (if you can use the refurbished store). It is faster than M3 Pro, and will certainly last you 10 years. It will also have higher memory bandwidth, and if you are going to get any upgrades, they will be a lot cheaper on the refurbished store. Or, buy an M2 Pro if you think it will be enough. And of course, you can get the M3 Max which will be amazing. Whatever you do though, do not get M3 Pro.
Early geekbench results (if real) are showing the m3 pro is actually faster than the M2 Max….

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Early geekbench results (if real) are showing the m3 pro is actually faster than the M2 Max….
Yeah there's a lot of naysayers here making judgments based on no real data besides core counts or memory bandwidth. This is a totally new architecture; you can't conclude anything without real-world testing results. I suspect they will tell quite a different story. Also, "only 10-15% faster" is actually really a lot compared to what we had been getting from Intel for years.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Reddit, take it with a grain of salt.

Link, multiple pictures.

Interesting, thanks! But the Geekbench for M2 Pro is off, the majority of entries are in the 14k area. 12k is binned M2 / unbinned M1 Pro territory.

So unless that initial entry is unusually low, we're probably seeing at best a few percent improvement, not 15% or so.

EDIT:

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 2.43.57 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 2.40.19 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 2.40.19 PM.png
    264.3 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005

Just ONE data point,,, but I don’t think that there is much chance you’ll be keeping this laptop for 10 years.. so take that into context if that is your calculation. LOTS of HW and device changes coming in the industry and technology in that period of time, where you will most likely be upgrade a primary device in the next 5-7 years latest.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
IF one is looking at say a 16” M3 PRO, WHAT is the best option for a prior generation M2 PRO and current discount? I was going to go for a 16” M3 PRO 32GB 1TB, really like Space Black, but not willing to pay too much for it. but I can’t find a prior gen M2 PRO similar config for much less.

Last edited:

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
IF one is looking at say a 16” M3 PRO, WHAT is the best option for a prior generation M2 PRO and current discount? I was going to go for a 16” M PRO 32GB 1TB, really like Space Black, but not willing to pay too much for it. but I can’t find a prior gen M2 PRO similar config for much less.
Can you access the Apple refurbished store in your country? Just search "refurb" on apple.com and you will find it. They have the best deals, and their products are really well refurbished. Basically new.

swamyg1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
They accidentally included the binned version (ref post above). It's pretty much a wash on compute, at least if this is a real result and is not unusually low.
I’m more concerned about the unbinned version so this is good news to me.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Can you access the Apple refurbished store in your country? Just search "refurb" on apple.com and you will find it. They have the best deals, and their products are really well refurbished. Basically new.
I can, and would, and have, but 32GB models, or up from base don’t often appear there.

what is MOST interesting is that the early 2023 PRO M2 16” models, 32GB, upgraded SSD seem to be selling for essentially the SAME price as a newly released LATE 2023 model with tiny bit more ram, fewer performance cores, and whatever else is new. So, it seems apple has somehow SIDE graded the current M3 PRO models, maintaining channel inventory pricing and releasing a “new product” I probably will just wait till next year.

Time to sell the stock- oh wait, I sold already at $195… time to get ready to BUY the stock once we get <$160

AppleUser29912

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2022
Just ONE data point,,, but I don’t think that there is much chance you’ll be keeping this laptop for 10 years.. so take that into context if that is your calculation. LOTS of HW and device changes coming in the industry and technology in that period of time, where you will most likely be upgrade a primary device in the next 5-7 years latest.
My current laptop is macbook pro 2014 model 😅 It is still working great but I can't upgrade the OS and also the battery now needs a replacement, and some apps take long time to load. So I thought maybe this year is the year to upgrade.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I’m more concerned about the unbinned version so this is good news to me.

The poster in that thread was not comparing like to like. Don't see how this could be good news (unless one is trying to justify an M2 Pro purchase) as it confirms there is no meaningful improvement on compute.

The M3 Pro is a sh*t sandwich just about any way you look at it compared to the M2... no improvement on compute, a moderate increase on GPU, slight increase in memory at the cost of reduced bandwidth, same battery life. Yes it's a bit cheaper but the M2 Pros on clearance are more so.

I get that this result was almost certainly arrived at by trying to reduce transistor count to improve yields, but I'm still shocked something like battery life isn't significantly improved given the process shrink.

A bit sore that this mess forced my hand to swap to a Max, but at least there perf is better than expected so it seems like a somewhat good value?

Last edited:
Reactions: Darajavahus

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
My current laptop is macbook pro 2014 model 😅 It is still working great but I can't upgrade the OS and also the battery now needs a replacement, and some apps take long time to load. So I thought maybe this year is the year to upgrade.
Functioning, and vulnerable to dramatic shifts and changes in technology are different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.