Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manek43509

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Norwich, UK
Right, this is very odd. I have never seen this or come across this before, so I'm wondering what thoughts people have…

I have an A1278 mid-2012 MacBook Pro which has been my workhorse laptop for many years, and I still love it. It runs on Mojave with no issues. But I wanted to do some upgrades and clean out some old junk on the machine.

So I the other night, I upgraded the logicboard (from a board with a 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 to one with a 2.9GHz Intel Core i7) in the MacBook Pro. Then I installed a clean version of Mojave, and restored my user account from a Time Machine backup. There were one or two little hiccoughs, but overall this went relatively smoothly and the Mac is back up and running again with the faster processor. However, the way that it boots up has changed.

I know the thread title seems impossible, but here is what happens: I power up the Mac, it goes to a grey screen with the Apple logo (so far, so much what I would expect) but no progress bar appears under the Apple logo. Instead, it goes straight to my user avatar (still on the grey boot screen!) and asks for my admin password. After I put the password in and hit return to login, then the grey progress bar appears and the Mac boots up as normal. It then sometimes goes to the normal login screen with my desktop background behind and I have to put the password in again – but sometimes it doesn't and goes straight into my user account after booting (presumably because I already logged in before the boot sequence initialised).

As I say, I have never known of this happening before. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced that, but if you would like to I have taken a video of this happening. The video file is too large to embed here, but you can view it in DropBox if you wish.

This doesn't seem to affect the running of the machine, and everything else seems to function as normal. So that is not actually a huge problem for me! But certainly is odd. Does anyone else have any clue what is going on here, or why this might be happening?!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
im looking for the same MacBook pro, is the i7 much better?
replacing a logic board is a tedious task, good for you!

Manek43509

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Norwich, UK
im looking for the same MacBook pro, is the i7 much better?
replacing a logic board is a tedious task, good for you!
Having only had it in there for two days, I haven't really used the Mac enough (other than to reinstall Mojave and copy my files over from my backups!) to tell the difference properly. I shall have it out on my gig this weekend though, and I shall report back after that!

I was super nervous about doing the logicboard, to be honest – but that was actually less hard than I had anticipated. Yeah, they're not easy! But if you are careful and methodical, and take your time, it's not that bad to do.

Reactions: MBAir2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.