Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suzan Aydın

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2020
So... Spilt a glass of water and a bit went on my MacBook Pro yesterday. Dried it like a mad woman but... is it screwed? Water got slightly under the touchbar and I tried to Dry it ASAP within seconds... Anyone got any suggestions? I left it next to the dehumidifier all night but... No change.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200412-181332.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-181332.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 132

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you'll want to dry it out for a day or two and it couldn't hurt to turn it upside down to see if anything drips out.

In all honesty if only a tiny bit of water got on the MBP, you may be ok, but I'd avoid the temptation of turning it on, as there may be enough water inside to cause a short.

Reactions: Suzan Aydın

Suzan Aydın

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2020
Hmm ok... It's my OH and he's continuing to use it like normal :\. I'm only a software engineer so I can't determine what could be wrong but, is it easy to tell what's causing the screen like that? Perhaps a pin or something that has corroded on the motherboard?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Corrosion typically takes time, but what is more likely occurred is that the water has (or is) shorting something out and has damaged a component.

Suzan Aydın

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2020
Hmm, do you think it's possible to determine what might be shorting? I'm fascinated by how a section of the display is having trouble and I'm curious what the display is made up of that could be causing the issue. If it's the pins on the cable, or something else. Basically, I'm curious about the technical side of it - I don't know if I'm prying too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.