Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barmonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
Hi,
I recently upgraded my ram in a 2009 MacBook pro and when I turned it back on I started getting the 3 beeps with nothing on screen.

Carried out a troubleshoot of ram and slots below.

I reinstalled old ram in both slots and got 3 beeps and nothing on screen.

Then only installed new ram in bottom slot leaving top slot free - laptop turned on. Swapped with other new ram and laptop still turned on.

So, both new ram work independently on the bottom slot which means new ram is fine and it must be something wrong with the top slot!?

is there a fix for this? If needed can I replace the ram unit entirely?

thank you in advance for any suggestions.

cheers!
Rob

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If there is something wrong with one slot, there is nothing you can do unless you have the memory slot repaired.

Was battery disconnected when you were changing the ram?

Barmonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
Ok.

I didn’t disconnect the battery. I watched the OWC video and I don’t believe they disconnected the battery.

Barmonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
It's possible that there was some sort of static discharge or short that occurred during the ram swap that caused the ram slot failure.

Thank you for such a quick response. I’m assuming it’s possible to replace the ram slot?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thank you for such a quick response. I’m assuming it’s possible to replace the ram slot?
You would need to have the board diagnosed by a tech who can perform board-level repairs to check the electrical traces to isolate where the defect is located. It could be close to the memory slot or further away and not require a replacement of the slot itself.

Barmonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
You would need to have the board diagnosed by a tech who can perform board-level repairs to check the electrical traces to isolate where the defect is located. It could be close to the memory slot or further away and not require a replacement of the slot itself.
Roger that. I will call my local shop. Not the outcome I expected when the new ram arrived in the post today. Thanks again.

The bottom slot is still working so at the very worst I can return one of the ram cards and would have paid £30 to look inside my laptop.

(understating how frustrating and disappointing this has been) thank you once more.

Reactions: Audit13

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Roger that. I will call my local shop. Not the outcome I expected when the new ram arrived in the post today. Thanks again.

The bottom slot is still working so at the very worst I can return one of the ram cards and would have paid £30 to look inside my laptop.

(understating how frustrating and disappointing this has been) thank you once more.
You are welcome.

Good luck with the repair.

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
Reset SMC maybe it will help. I had similar issue with my iMac that just wouldn't boot and gave me 3 beeps. Resetting solved the problem.

Scroll down for older machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audit13

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Possible "cheap" solution to move forward:
Determine -which slot- is giving you problems.
then...
Buy the largest DIMM that will fit into the OTHER slot.
Run it with one slot filled for the rest of its days.

I WOULD NOT spend any more $$$$ than that on an 11-year-old MacBook...

Barmonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
Top slot is the problem so just running 4gb on the bottom. It’s done me really well and I’ve looked after it. I don’t my spending a little bit if it means it’s working at full capacity. Nothing silly though. Thanks for the tip

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
The RAM slot is basically a mechanical connector. It will not itself be damaged by static electricity. I would unseat the ram module and reseat it in the slot. At this point I would also check for any bent pins, although unlikely.

Static discharges kills integrated circuits of MOS type,or at least their IO circuits. The discharge can lead to voltages of thousand of Volts, enough to short circuit part of the silicon. This cannot be repaired, you can only replace the IC in
question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.