Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unkinkedash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
Hey everyone, I'm new here and I really considering upgrade my macbook pro mid 2012 A1278 memory. But I'm having a hard time trying to find a compatible memory. I recently found one with these specifications:

• Brand: Kingston
  • Model: KVR16LS11/8
  • Memory modules: 1X 8GB
  • Capacity: 8 GB
  • Type of memory: SDRAM
  • Memory's technology: DDR3 SDRAM
  • Memory's format: SODIMM
  • Speed/Frequency: 1600 MHz
  • 204-pin SODIMM
  • 204 pins
  • Tranmission: 8GB/s
  • latency: 11
  • (1.28V ~ 1.45V) e 1.5V (1.425V ~ 1.575V)
So, is this memory compatible with my mac? I was willing to remove one of the slots of 2GB and replace it with this one and leave the other slot with the other 2GB. Also change the hdd to an ssd.
Thanks a lot!

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
both 1.5V and 1.35V works fine

Apple genuine memory are 1.5V Elpida or SK Hynix

unkinkedash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
It should be.
The RAM you need should be:
PC3-12800 DDR3L
1600Mhz
SDRAM SO-DIMM (204 Pin)

As long as these things are in order the RAM fits. The machine can support up to 16GB

Is there any problem to maintain one slot with 2GB and the other slot with a 8GB? Making the macbook with 10GB total

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Is there any problem to maintain one slot with 2GB and the other slot with a 8GB? Making the macbook with 10GB total
To my knowledge no, but I have newer done it myself.
There is a little different opinions around the web but most of them seems to agree to try and then remove a stick if there are problems.

Kingcr

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018
UK

It’ll probably work, but with a minor performance penalty. This is because the machine will no longer be able to operate in dual channel mode over the entire memory capacity as, in your case, 6gb of your memory will be provided by just one module in isolation. I’m not sure whether the machine will drop back to single channel mode or stay in dual channel mode (but effectively only for the first 4gb). The performance penalty of dropping back to single channel mode is often felt the most if you’re using integrated graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.