Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soccer1725

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
I hope someone can shed some light on this for me, I have searched everything I can and have found no info on memory speed that answers my questions.

For my Windows PC I use PC Pitstop to benchmark my computer. My Desktop that is a but older with DDR-400 RAM (PC-3200), runs memory throughput at about 8000 MB/s, from what I can find, this is normal.

When I test my Macbook Pro memory with an OS X benchmark, I get a speed of 3500 MB/s. Also, running Boot Camp, I test the MacBook Pro at PC Pitstop with XP and I get similar readings of 3500 MB/s. PC Pitstop says that this should be a lot faster, in the 8000 MB/s range. Being that the RAM in the MacBook Pros are DDR2-667, (PC2-5200), it should run faster than the 3500 I have tested them at shouldn't they? It's hard to believe my Desktop RAM is faster than the MBP.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Yes - benchmark programs are notoriously unreliable. They generally do not correspond well with real world performance.

Do you have one memory module or 2 in the MacBook Pro?

It could be as simple as the benchmark program just doubling the throughput numbers on any machine that is running dual channel access (such as your PC). Which in theory, it would be doubled, but in practice only results in 6% - 8% improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.