Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gilbert_17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
I have a MacBook Pro 13,3 Mid 2010. It is equipped with the 2,4Ghz DualCore, 4GB RAM, 512GB SSD. I installed MAC OS snow Leopard successful, but if i try to update, it will reboot and stuck in the screen where you see a grey apple. If i try to install MAC OS El Capitan or Yosemite, it stucks in the screen where you can see the grey apple and a process bar. I tried to install MAC OS on the SSD from another MAC, but if i try to boot from the SSD in my MacBook it stucks at the grey Apple. I changed the SSD to an HDD but it still stucks while booting.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
It's possible that the sata drive cable is defective.

If you were able to install and boot the SSD from another computer, then I would agree, there's a good chance the cable is defective. If you're in the US, Apple has been replacing the HDD cable for free for the non-Retina 2012 MBP's - they may do the same for earlier MBP's.

Another possibility is that the SSD may have problems with the SATA controller. I think your computer would have the Nvidia MCP89 SATA controller (if you look in the System Report, under USB, it should tell you which SATA controller you have). Some SSD's may not work well with the MCP89. While not as problematical as the MCP79, which earlier MBP's used, there may be an issue. You can search for your brand/model of SSD and "MCP89 problem" and see if any relevant results come up.

Reactions: Gilbert_17

Gilbert_17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
If you were able to install and boot the SSD from another computer, then I would agree, there's a good chance the cable is defective. If you're in the US, Apple has been replacing the HDD cable for free for the non-Retina 2012 MBP's - they may do the same for earlier MBP's.

Another possibility is that the SSD may have problems with the SATA controller. I think your computer would have the Nvidia MCP89 SATA controller (if you look in the System Report, under USB, it should tell you which SATA controller you have). Some SSD's may not work well with the MCP89. While not as problematical as the MCP79, which earlier MBP's used, there may be an issue. You can search for your brand/model of SSD and "MCP89 problem" and see if any relevant results come up.

I can boot from the SSD on a Early 2008 MacBook Pro. I also tried to replace the SSD with a few HDD's and it didn't worked. I have run the AHT and id says everything is fine. Is there a possibility to check the cable without replacing it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.