Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TerraMati

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
Hello,
My Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with High Sierra installed on it has problems with both USB ports. The first was already broken when I bought the MacBook and the second one isn't really broken but disconnects the USB Sticks/External Drives randomly. I tried resetting both SMC and NVRAM, nothing has worked. It's really frustrating because I've been trying to make a bootable macOS installer on a USB Stick and it disconnects every time after like 10 minutes. The ports are pretty nasty inside so I will clean them soon. Just praying for it to not be a motherboard issue. Any help appreciated! Also my specs:
1643463109657.png

Graham Caracas

Suspended
Jun 24, 2020
Six Toe, MO
Thoroughly clean all ports, connectors, sticks, adapters, etc using electronics cleaners, compressed air, mini vacuum, toothpicks, brushes, Qtips, whatever. Remove the bottom cover, shake out and suck up all the personal sediment you've left there over the years.
If you feel you're a competent consumer you can do all this your(YouTube)self. If not, hire a tech. Only then, if this doesn't resolve the issue, start thinking internal problem. Given its age and wear & tear, the best solution may be a new machine.

TerraMati

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
I cleaned it thouroughly and the disconnecting one works perfectly fine! Even the second one started working! Thanks, also I didn't think that unclean ports can mess up! Again, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.