Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedrogiro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
I have a mid 2012 13 inch Macbook Pro and installed a Smasung EVO 850 SSD 250 GB disk replacing the HDD. I was able to format it correctly and install the MacOs through the internet recovery with no problems. Everything was working perfectly when a few weeks ago after a seamingly normal hard reset, because of system stalling for no apparent reason, it did not boot up again.
I went into recovery mode and could not repair or format the disk, not even doing a repartition of HFS+, it gets stuck on 50% saying "Waiting for disk to reappear." (I'm ok with doing so since I didn't have much data to lose). According to some foruns I tried partitioning in Fat32 (with success) and reformat back to HFS with no luck. Then, I tried booting up from an Ubuntu distro running on USB pen, and managed to format it, write to it, read from it, mount it, repair ir, and every other action gparted is able to do, I even managed to format it in HFS+ (download appropriate linux packages) and it went well, but not with disk utility, nor could I manage to install a new OS on top of the Ubuntu HFS+ formatted disk.
After reading more foruns I found that it could be a Sata cable problem.
My first question is, since it works perfectly well on Ubuntu, the SSD, how could the cable or the disk be damaged?
On researching this Sata problem, I found that it could be easily fixed by putting some tape to isolate the cable from the bottom of the alluminium pc cover. I did so and apparently after it, I could format the SSD to HFS+ using disk utility and install the MacOS. However, it failled. I already tryed 3 times and never succeeded.

Did anyone experience similar issues? What do you think is the problem SSD? Sata cable?

pedrogiro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
It was indeed the Sata cable that was damaged.

Thank you all.

Problem solved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.