Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PJD1953

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
NW Wales. UK
Hi everyone, thought this bit of information might help

Having not used my macbook pro 2012 for a couple of years, I tried to boot and had the familiar folder briefcase symbol with the Q mark

Read all I could on the situation and attempted various procedures until I came across a thread written by DeltaMac (cat symbol) from 2017 April 25 in macrumours

quote from DeltaMac " Reset your NVRAM:
Restart. Before the boot chime ends, hold Option-Command-P-R.
Continue to hold those keys. You should hear the boot chime again in a few seconds.
Continue to hold the same 4 keys until you hear the boot chime 2 more times, then release the keys.
Assuming there is no system installed on your new SSD, you SHOULD see a flashing folder and (?).

Now you can boot to your installer " unquote

I followed this interesting advice as it was my last option having dried for a good few days
Anyhow, without switching off and rebooting from the flashing folder, I inserted a boot usb preloaded with Yosemite 10:10 .2 and lo and behold the software booted in immediately and began loading the program ....
30 minutes or so later it was all done :)

My thanks to DeltaMac for this invaluable advice, and hope others have similar good luck
FYI, I purchased boot programme from Amazon which was brilliant

• ASIN: B00QRRL6IA sold by usbosx
OS X Yosemite 10.10 Full Install Or Upgrade Bootable 8GB USB Stick [Not DVD / CD]

by RTC https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yosemite-1...=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1517871213&sr=1-7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.