Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noxxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2023
Good day to everybody :)
I just bought above-mentioned MacBook, and it had only 256GB of storage. Guess I need 1 or 2 TB of storage for music production, and I would like to ask for advice: what SSD would you recommend? I have some options here, but I'm open to any other, really:
Kingston SNV2S
Western Digital Blue SN570
Netac N930E Pro
Colorful CN600
Which would be best in terms of power consumption, speed, reliability, but would not be an overkill? (Samsung looks great but is way too pricey)
Thanks

Flow91

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2015
Hi, there is a great thread on this forum about this topic. There you can find a table that indicates what SSDs are a good choice. I first chose a Samsung NVME SSD which was one of the fastest storages, but it ran very hot and drained the battery extremly fast. I then went for an Adata SX8200 - it doesn‘t have the same read/write-speeds, but it doesn‘t run too hot and it consumes the battery only a bit faster then the original SSD. It has been running reliably for three years now (daily use). I chose that SSD because it seemed suitable following the thread on this board. Unfortunately, I don‘t have the link anymore, but I‘m sure you‘ll find it.

Reactions: noxxe

Flow91

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2015

This is the thread.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
🤯 I didn't realise you could upgrade the internal on these? I went on crucial and they said they didn't anything for this model.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Take time to examine all the potential drives very carefully.

BE AWARE that once you install -some- 3rd party drives, you may not be able to do firmware updates any longer. Possibly OS updates, as well.

In that case, the only solution is to put the factory-installed drive BACK IN.
THEN you can do the updates...

noxxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2023

This is the thread.
Thanks, a lot of useful information, but, unfortunately, most of the recommended ssd are no longer available, and, in some cases, were replaced by newer revisions (my conjecture: number one spot is taken by Crucial P2 which is said to have TLC type memory, but every store I checked it's QLC now), and there were some newer models released there is no information on compabilty about - Crucial P3, for example, which, people on internet say, is supposed to replace P2, but how much of it is truth?
Still thanks a lot, a lot of crucial information in that thread :)

BenPratt

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
Thanks, a lot of useful information, but, unfortunately, most of the recommended ssd are no longer available, and, in some cases, were replaced by newer revisions (my conjecture: number one spot is taken by Crucial P2 which is said to have TLC type memory, but every store I checked it's QLC now), and there were some newer models released there is no information on compabilty about - Crucial P3, for example, which, people on internet say, is supposed to replace P2, but how much of it is truth?
Still thanks a lot, a lot of crucial information in that thread :)
What did you end up going with?

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Good day to everybody :)
I just bought above-mentioned MacBook, and it had only 256GB of storage. Guess I need 1 or 2 TB of storage for music production, and I would like to ask for advice: what SSD would you recommend? I have some options here, but I'm open to any other, really:
Kingston SNV2S
Western Digital Blue SN570
Netac N930E Pro
Colorful CN600
Which would be best in terms of power consumption, speed, reliability, but would not be an overkill? (Samsung looks great but is way too pricey)
Thanks
Go with the Western Digital Blue SN570 2TB NVMe M.2 storage drive. With a Syntech adapter you will see average read/write speeds on your Mid2015 15 inch MBP of around 2500mb/sec. This is what I am seeing with my Western Digital Blue SN570 2TB storage drive installed in my Mid2015 MBP.

The Western Digital storage drive is the best bang for the buck.

BenPratt

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
Go with the Western Digital Blue SN570 2TB NVMe M.2 storage drive. With a Syntech adapter you will see average read/write speeds on your Mid2015 15 inch MBP of around 2500mb/sec. This is what I am seeing with my Western Digital Blue SN570 2TB storage drive installed in my Mid2015 MBP.

The Western Digital storage drive is the best bang for the buck.
What about heat and battery usage? I'm having problems with these things using the timetec ssd I upgraded to. right now i'm less interested in speed.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
What about heat and battery usage? I'm having problems with these things using the timetec ssd I upgraded to. right now i'm less interested in speed.
I have not done a statistical analysis of battery usage vs. temps using the Western Digital NVMe storage drive so I don't have accurate or precise numbers to add to this discussion however with that said, my usecase does not require me to constantly have my laptop out in the field so to speak so I have access to an AC receptacle whenever my battery levels get low and I can easily plug in to recharge my battery.

As for temps, I can say that they are manageable and I haven't noticed an excessive buildup in temps when using my laptop with the Western Digital storage drive. I can easily monitor temps within my laptop using the iStat Menus app. It also monitors battery usage over time and shows a graphic display of how the battery has been discharging when unplugged from an AC source.

BenPratt

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
I have not done a statistical analysis of battery usage vs. temps using the Western Digital NVMe storage drive so I don't have accurate or precise numbers to add to this discussion however with that said, my usecase does not require me to constantly have my laptop out in the field so to speak so I have access to an AC receptacle whenever my battery levels get low and I can easily plug in to recharge my battery.

As for temps, I can say that they are manageable and I haven't noticed an excessive buildup in temps when using my laptop with the Western Digital storage drive. I can easily monitor temps within my laptop using the iStat Menus app. It also monitors battery usage over time and shows a graphic display of how the battery has been discharging when unplugged from an AC source.
Thanks so much! Two follow up questions: 1. I assume I need an adapter with this. Should I get the full length on or the one that just goes on the end? 2. The SN570 is no longet available. Will the SN580 work as well?

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Thanks so much! Two follow up questions: 1. I assume I need an adapter with this. Should I get the full length on or the one that just goes on the end? 2. The SN570 is no longet available. Will the SN580 work as well?
Get this while you can:

The Western Digital Blue SN 570 2TB open box:

and the Syntech adapter needed to install the Western Digital NVMe SSD into your Mac (assuming it is a 2013 or later model):

Get these items and you should be good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.