Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaizor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Hello,
I am currently using the base model mid-2015 Macbook pro, and have been looking into an upgrade. Alot of people are saying there is not going to be an upgrade this summer, but even if there is I was wanting your take on whether I should grab a 2018 15" base model instead of waiting for the 2019 models. I am wanting to run Ableton Live 10, which is CPU intensive, more efficiently. I am seeing some discounts currently for the 2018 MBPs, and I can also trade in my old 2015 macbook. My question is, would the 2018 base model 15" MBP be a big upgrade? If so, would it be smarter to just get the 2018 MBPs while they are discounted instead of paying and arm and leg for the potential 2019 models? I would like a nice upgrade, but I figured instead of waiting for the best of the best 2019 models, I can get a good 2018 model for much cheaper than the 2019 models would be.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
I like the saying that if you wait for new models to come out, you'll always be waiting.
Hardware wise, there's very little to improve on. Intel's generation leaps have been incremental ever since they started taking the tick-tock model, which is now tick-tock-something.

Really the biggest boost in performance will be going from quad (I assume?) to six core.

I think because you're getting a discount that it's worth it. Check best buy every so often because they've been offering pretty big discounts on their laptops.

$1499 was just too good for me to pass up on a 512G 13" 2018 touchbar, and I had a $100 off student discount.

No. 44

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2016
Long gone
It really all depends on what you mean by an "upgrade".

Yes, the specs of the 2018 MBP have been improved, so in that sense this model could be thought of as an upgrade, but many people here have actually decided against buying the 2016-2018 in favor of the 2015 MBP. These users consider the functioning, ergonomic keyboard, the presence of MagSafe, the better selection of ports, etc. preferable to the present offerings. For them, going from the 2015 to the 2018 is actually a "downgrade" in many respects.

In terms of reliability, the new MBP certainly doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade over the 2015. If you do decide to get one, make sure to get AppleCare. Repairs can be very expensive on these new models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.