Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterMattt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2017
Hello,
I am the owner of a late 2011 MacBook Pro (Model A1286) and am the only owner. Never had any issues with this laptop until just recently. The Logic board is an Apple 2009 820 2565-A.

I had placed my labtop on my bathroom counter and took a long shower. I think the steam from the shower may have caused an issue to my board which caused my screen to fail. The screen gradually faded to a pale image and then later went white. I restarted the computer, after 20 min or so, and the image would fade in and out, usually with minuscule white lines blinking which made the image appear faint. The screen eventually went out after a few reboot attempts.

I have since connected the laptop to an external monitor and can use it without issue, so I don't think it is a video card issue. The backlight on my KEYBOARD works fine. I have noticed that the apple logo is NOT lighted and thought it may be the backlight to my screen that has shorted. I have tried to see if an image is on the screen using a flashlight, but it just appears black, which leads me to believe the screen no longer working.

Any suggestion on how to troubleshoot this issue? Some thoughts...what would cause the screen to gradually fail as it did?

I've seen several threads on backlight fuse issues, but am not sure if this would be the issue.

Last edited:

MisterMattt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2017
If the laptop shows (normal) image in an external display, then it's not a dGPU issue.

Thanks for your reply. I figured that it wasn't a video card issue because my external video is working fine.

By the way, I also tried an System Management Controller reset (SHIFT+CONTROL+OPTION+POWER) and a PRAM reset (COMMAND+OPTION+P+R keys) without any success.

Thanks for your feedback.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hello,
I am the owner of a late 2011 MacBook Pro (Model A1286) and am the only owner. Never had any issues with this laptop until just recently. The Logic board is an Apple 2009 820 2565-A.

I had placed my labtop on my bathroom counter and took a long shower. I think the steam from the shower may have caused an issue to my board which caused my screen to fail. The screen gradually faded to a pale image and then later went white. I restarted the computer, after 20 min or so, and the image would fade in and out, usually with minuscule white lines blinking which made the image appear faint. The screen eventually went out after a few reboot attempts.

Don't take your laptop into a shower or other wet/humid environment. It is only designed to be used or stored in dry environments. From the spec sheet: Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing.

I suspect you have burned out a component.

MisterMattt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2017
Ha. Yes...i have an enclosed shower, and the computer was not showering with me. However I believe some of the humidity in the room may have caused a short somewhere on my board. I checked out my LVDS connection, gently unplugged it and took some photos. I think this may be where the short may have happened.

Found a Youtube video, from a search I did online, where a computer repair shop reported a high number of shorts occurring with the screen connection due to the tape that overlaps the pins, if the tape overheats. The logic board in this video is not the same board, but the set up is very similar.

I may have had some condensation build up in this area and a short occurred. Just a guess on my part. I've attached a photo of the pins:

It appears to me that a few of the pins may have shorted. I'm concerned that it may have blown other connections going to the screen as well.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen connection pins.jpg
    Screen connection pins.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 453
  • Screen connection pins 2.jpg
    Screen connection pins 2.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 545
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.