Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do I restore MacBook Pro if I have no startup disk

• Total voters

Sehanicm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
okay so I think I mightve deleted my hard drive- I was using my computer normally and it turned off and I tried turning it on again but it showed a white screen and then a flashing folder with a question mark icon in it. I got the MacBook Pro new in June of 2013 and this incident happened February of 2016- this year.

I tried to restore it without a disk, and I think I might've deleted my hard drive because when I try to install the OS X it doesn't show anywhere to place it. If anyone even remotely understands what I'm saying please help, I'm not MacBook savvy. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 655

Sehanicm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I think I'm not using the right terminology... And the link- I've tried it so many times- I try to install the OS X from the Internet and everything goes well until it asks for a location I'd like to install it....no location shows up- are there any pictures I can send u that might help u understand what I'm talking about?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sounds like your drive may have failed, there should be enough loaded on an internet restore to recognise a blank drive. Have you gone into Disk Utility fro the Internet Recovery screen, does it show there and need reformatting?

Sehanicm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I've gone into the disk utility but don't really know what to do from there, I'll send a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 474

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Looks like you have a Drive Macintosh HD with an unmounted volume also called Macintosh HD. Try hi-lighting the greyed out volume (lower line) Macintosh HD and click "Mount"

Sehanicm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Sorry if I sound stupid, but do I click
Macintosh HD
(Greyed) Macintosh HD
Disk0

Or

MAC OS X BASE SYSTEM

Sehanicm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
So it asked me enter the password to unlock the disk'MACINTOSH HD' so I did and it isn't grey anymore now! Now what do I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 372

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Reboot and see if that was the problem and it boots normally, if it does, all good, if it doesn't you will need to boot into Internet recovery and reinstall the OS as you were doing but the disk should mount, if it doesn't repeat the mount and enter the password then exit the utilities and it should ask if you want to reinstall the OS on Macintosh HD.

If you are sure you can't boot from it then reinstall. Do you have a backup of your files on Time Machine for instance? If you do then better to boot from the Time Machine drive and recovery the OS and your files from there.

Its quite hard to erase a complete disk, I'm hopeful if you just reboot it should do so, possibly just asking for the password again.

Sehanicm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
It didn't boot normally and I wanted to wipe it clean anyway- should I click on the indented MACINTOSH HD and then on the erase tab?

Sehanicm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
So I restarted the computer and got to disk utility. I then proceeded to click on the unmounted Macintosh HD (the one that was greyed out). I inserted my password and it became not grey. Then I tried to erase it on the erase tab and it looked to be working until I got a message that said ENCRYPTION FAILED COULDNT READ PARTITION MAP....ANY ANSWERS? AGAIN, THANKS SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME
[doublepost=1464097447][/doublepost]Another guy told me that if I open up the terminal I could fix my issue by doing the following.

First typing:
Diskutil list

And then it gave me the picture u see in the attachment.

Then he told me to write:
Cat /dev/random > /dev/disk1

And it came back saying:
Resource busy
So I repeated the process until the line didn't render anything

Tried to restart my computer and it still didn't allow me to see nor mount the greyed MACINTOSH HD
[doublepost=1464097825][/doublepost]Here is a picture of what he told me to do
image.png
image.png

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 252

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So it asked me enter the password to unlock the disk'MACINTOSH HD' so I did and it isn't grey anymore now! Now what do I do?
Firs of all... it sounds like you have a failed disk or perhaps a failed drive cable, and no amount of reinstalling things is going to fix that.

That said, if you want to try... here is what you can do. It looks like you have FileVault encryption turned on and that is why the disk looks a little different in Disk Utility. Go back to where you were in this screen shot and select the lower Macintosh HD volume and unlock it in the File menu. Then click on First Aid and check the disk. What does that show?

If you want to wipe and start over, you need to command-option-r boot to recovery then once you get to the recovery screen open Terminal from the Utilities menu and enter the line below. That will remove the encrypted Macintosh HD partition so you can start over.

Code:
diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"

Then go the the erase tab and format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Utility and try to reinstall the OS. Like I said though, I think you are wasting your time. The OS just does not vanish like this unless you ave an underlying hardware problem.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I agree with the failed/failing disk (sorry, overnight here hence I didn't get back to you). to confirm cable (is this a model with a cable?) or drive there are two indicators:
The drive going into read only
DriveDX will show an increasing CRC error count on the interface.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.